Sprinkler heads

I ahve noticed that the sprinkler heads (Rainbird) are sticking in the up position and fail to retract after the system shuts off.

They are 11 years old is it time to replace them as needed, or is there a fix?

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Replace them, its not that expensive per head and you can (probably) use the old nozzles. Should be able to just unscrew the old one from the inground case, swap the nozzle to the new one and plop the new one back in the inground case - no digging needed. Then just adjust the spray pattern. Check each zone for proper operation and voila! you should be back in business with a like new system Eric

Reply to
Eric

I am sure if it is cool or even cold in your area. I've noticed that the nozzles tend to stay up in the up position when it is cold.

cod

Reply to
cod

Plastic types? Probably just sand or dirt that could be cleaned out but at that age they probably should be replaced anyway. Always good to have some spare heads.

Reply to
Rich256

sticking in the up

I've had good luck just clearing away the grass that grows tightly around the heads. Then turn the system on, and repeatedly push the offending heads down multiple times to help wash away the dirt that makes them stick.

Bob

Reply to
Bob