replace or repair old a/c unit?

We have a 10+ year old a/c unit that is on the fritz. We had a repairman look at it, and he told us that the compressor is shot (of course). He said he could try to repair it with a "booster kit" and thermostat with a delay for $700, or put in a new American Standard unit for $2800. The problem we're having is the compressor turns on, but frequently shuts off after a short period of time. It is also tripping the circuit breaker occasionally. The repairman told us that the motor is overheating. So, the question I have is, do we try the "booster kit" or just install a new unit? We plan to move out of our house in the next six months, which is a huge factor in our decision.

Also, any opinions about buying a used compressor and having it installed? Are there any environmental restrictions on that in California?

Reply to
newtosewing

If you plan on moving i wouldnt replace it .id call another company see what they say.

Reply to
PoCambo

occasionally.

Get a second opinion, you may have other problems that "look" like a bad compressor. One possibility is way over charged with refrigerant. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

"Try to repair it?" From what you describe, it sounds to me like the tech is more interested in making an equipment sale rather than fixing your existing system.

Are you referring to the compressor itself, or the entire outdoor unit?

Poor electrical connections can cause this as well. Get it checked by someone who knows what they're doing.

I wouldn't "try" anything unless they're willing to guarantee that the repair will fix the problem. I find the tech's use of the word "try" a little disturbing. It implies that the tech doesn't really know what he or she is doing. Get a real professional HVAC person out there to completely go through and properly diagnose your system and make appropriate recommendations.

Again, before you consider doing *anything*, find out *exactly* what's wrong and *exactly* what is needed to correct the problem. An experienced HVAC pro will be able to tell you, not the person who was just out there and said they could "try to repair it."

Reply to
Banister Stairwell