Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

Page 1 of 9
I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
SJ
I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.
---------
have done just that in the past.

A tube should work, but any kind of cut could lead to a blow out. Especially one on the side wall. I say replace the tire.
--
Dan Espen

On 11/4/2014 2:20 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Yeah - Your not supposed to patch a side wall. Mostly it's due to the flexing the sidewall does, the patch won't hold long anyway but that 1/2" tear you got will end up weakening and as the previous poster mentioned, a blowout could happen. Don't ever stick a plug in the side wall either - That will spread the steel bands and weaken the wall worse. I've gotten away with having a plug stuck in on the very edge of the tread before, (but still facing the road) where your not supposed to have one, but was in a situation where I had no choice. Still fine after 30K miles there, but never would I do a sidewall. I don't see why a tube wouldn't be fine, but would patch the tire on the inside so no chance of the tube having any issues with where the cut was.
But all in all, with the price for a tube & repair why not just get a new tire? If your really hard up for $$, you can even buy used with decent tread left. I've never done it before, but have seen used tire places so someone does.. :)
On 11/4/2014 2:45 PM, IYM wrote:

I agree. Steel is in the belt and sidewalls are probably polyester plies. If these are cut, tire would be at risk to patch as flexing is in the sidewall and any repair would probably not be permanent.
On 11/4/2014 2:20 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

> cut could lead to a blow out.

Some decades ago, I used to have box of sidewall patches. NOt sure I'd trust one.
I'd also suggest replace.
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 1:55:53 PM UTC-5, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. T ire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifical ly not to use them on the side.

s say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.

Typically the flexing renders any fix sort term. That's why they say not t o try to repair sidewalls.
I had a friend who had a puncture in his tire sidewall. No one would fix it , until he found a tire shop that would fix it for cash.
It lasted about 9 months, until on a trip between San Diego and the Bay Are a it blew on Interstate 5 in the central valley of California. The Expediti on caught the shoulder and rolled, killing him, paralyzing one of his passe ngers, and seriously injuring the other four.

A long time ago I did some tire cord R&D. We had a test where tires were run and load and speed increased until catastrophic failure. I've seen pictures of these tires before failure and they were frightening in how much they deformed and flexed. You don't want to run your tires any where near the max or have a defective tire running at high speed.

Gosh, it was worth it saving him a few bucks. Got another idiot off the highways for good.
Sasquatch Jones wrote:

Hi, Safety #1. right? I'd try to find a similar used tire. I wouldn't have peace of mind if I have a tire with side wall problem specially driving on freeway.
On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:55:19 -0800, "Sasquatch Jones"

That is an EX tire. Make a swing out of it and buy a new one.
Tubes don't work that well in a radial either.

let me add: mine was a radial tire and I got many miles out of it with the tube. However the hole in the sidewall was the tiniest of holes from hitting the curb, not your 1/2" jagged fright.

if a radial, the tire is now compromised and is DANGEROUS. Sorry replace it.
On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:55:19 -0800, "Sasquatch Jones"

Radial sidewalls are quite fragile -and repairing them is generally not recommended. A clean puncture is one thing, but a "bruise" is another. If it has not damaged any cords (unlikely by your description) a tube MIGHT be acceptable - but it must be a tube made for radial tires - such as a Michelin AirStop. Even then, heating can be a problem. I would STRONGLY recommend replacing the tire.

Strange - I've NEVER seen a radial tire with steel in the sidewalls.

IYM wrote:

I picked up 3 decent tires on craigslist. The guy had damaged one of the set and was anal enough that he didn't want a mismatched tire.
As for the OP, my pickup doesn't get out much and is on retreads that are old enough to vote. Two have developed sidewall leaks just sitting in the driveway. I figured if they were that far gone I would trust a tube, hence craigslist. I just couldn't see dropping $150 a tire for something that gets out of the driveway once a year or so.
When I was looking, I saw a lot of tires on craigslist.
I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
== Thanks many times over everyone! Both front tires are both close to needing replacing anyway. I'll catch one of the Veterans Day sales.
On 11/5/2014 12:57 PM, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

I went to a wrecking yard and got some used tires. Seems OK, and has more tread than the ones I took off.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/5/2014 12:57 PM, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

Check around for a good local tire shop. We have one in town and everyday prices are as good or better than the chain stores. Service is far better too!
Last year I put on a set of Nokian tires. A true all season tie for any part of North America. Best tires I've ever had.