repairing a kitchenaid mixer

Hello, our mixer broke, so I took it apart and I found a metal piece where the teeth were gone, so I guess this is it, and ordered a new part: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id594375&rdr=%2fpartsearch%2fmodel.aspx%3fmodel_id%3d5161596%26diagram_id%3d907314
All the gears in the casing were all in a lot of grease. I took it out assuming it contained some scraps of metal. I assume I need to put some new grease back in: do they sell this grease at home depot or lowes? What is the name ? I guess I will try to put back as much as originally in the casing.
Thanks.
Fred

Your first call should be manufacturer customer service. They may possibly even send you the right stuff. Failing that, a heavy duty bearing grease should work. Lithium based greases are not so good (those are the yellowish ones best for boat trailer wheels). Good luck,
Joe
fredinstl wrote:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id594375&rdr=%2fpartsearch%2fmodel.aspx%3fmodel_id%3d5161596%26diagram_id%3d907314
Probably something like a food grade grease for food handling equipment. Lubriplate manufacturers a few.
http://www.lubriplate.com/products/greases/synxtreme-fg-series.html
TDD
I replaced the main drive gear in a KitchenAid several years ago and reused all the grease. Its made many, many loafs of bread since with no issue. Unless you were to clean and replace all the grease to remove microscopic particles, I think the effort may not be productive. Did the manufacturer reccommend this?

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id594375&rdr=%2fpartsearch%2fmodel.aspx%3fmodel_id%3d5161596%26diagram_id%3d907314
Fred, I had the same problem, same machine. Went to my DeWalt (and others) power tool repair place and they offered to sell me a few ounces (half the size of a pack of cigarettes) for $ 89. Yes, Eighty-nine dollars. Decided to put the old grease back in. Mixer is working fine.
Ivan Vegvary