Repairing a cheese knife

Page 1 of 2
One small cheese knife from a set broke. The blade, which is marked "stainles steel", came out of the handle which looks like glass, but is probably acrylic.
The blade has a small tab that was glued into a small slot in the end of the handle. The glue failed and the blade fell out. Some of the glue is still adhering to the blade tab, the rest is inside the handle slot.
Here are some photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldq4hm5z55ggc2o/cPFXotL_l4
I have some T-88 which I have used in the past on the advice of people here. I am inclined to use in for this application. Is that a good choice?
I assume I need to clean the old glue residue off the blade tab and dig as much as I can out of the handle slot. Right?
Thanks
On 6/11/2013 12:55 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Jennifer, that's a cool looking cheese knife and I can see why you would like to repair it. If the T-88 is a clear epoxy I would suggest using an emery board on the metal after you get the old glue off. The abrasive on the emery board will roughen up the metal so the epoxy will bond better. Of course only roughen the metal that will be glued into the handle. If you have a dental pick you don't mind cleaning up with nail polish remover, you may be able to carefully dig around in the cavity in the handle to remove any old glue and roughen up the inside of the hole. From your picture, it looks like the metal tang has a rough texture to it so you may only have to get the old glue off then clean it with a solvent. The inside of the slot in the handle needs some kind of roughening to help the glue adhere to the handle. You could try using the aforementioned emery board if you can cut a piece that will fit into the slot or get something to scratch up the inside of the cavity. The rough surfaces will probably not be visible after the clear epoxy is used to fill in the slot around the end of the knife blade. Good luck! ^_^
TDD

That is what I would suggest but the design of the blade is poor. It should have extended further into the handle. As it is, it will continue to fail so when fixed should just be considered a decorative item and not used.
On 6/11/2013 6:27 AM, Frank wrote:

You got to admit, it's a cool looking knife albeit a bit cheesy. ^_^
TDD

Yup.
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 06:38:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Groan

I agree that the design is not perfect, but we've had it for over 30 years and this is the first time it has broken. If it will last another 30, it will be someone else's problem. :-)
On 6/11/2013 9:44 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Then by all means clean up the metal and epoxy in with clear epoxy. You probably don't cut the cheese that often.

;-)
On 6/11/2013 12:33 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

All men are pigs but fart jokes are just as funny to an eight year old as they are to an eighty year old. In some respects, we male humans never grow up. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 03:20:05 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I don't agree with that. Many men are very nice people and some women are not very nice at all. Anyway, this was more of a pun, than an adolescent fart joke.
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 02:02:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Thanks. We've had it for at least 30 years.

Virtually clear: http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/T-88-c27.htm

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.
On 6/11/2013 8:42 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote: ...

Is the existing bonding hard or pliable? If hard, it was likely an epoxy, if it's pliable more than likely a silicone.
The tang is obviously roughened already; I'd be careful about scratching up the plastic handle much as I think it's likely to show.
If it held 30 yr before, if you do clean out the recess and clean up the tang and then use whatever the bonding agent you choose suggests as cleaner (alcohol or acetone aka fingernail polish remover are likely good choices) then it ought to be good for that again...

I thought it was hard, but I just peeled off the part that was stuck to the knife tab, and it's fairly flexible, like a very stiff plastic. Not at all brittle. And this is at least 30 years old.

Yes. This is clearly visible ofter the old glue is removed. I uploaded 3 new photos to the Dropbox folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldq4hm5z55ggc2o/cPFXotL_l4
You can also see the arc line where the old glue came to.

I am having trouble getting the old glue out of the handle slot. I've loosened it using an old screwdriver that I sharpened to a point for just such jobs, but I can't get it out. I am reluctant to use too much leverage for fear of cracking the handle.
I have a pair of fine point tweezers, but I can't get a good hold on it.
I've even used a dental pick.

xt -

I would not put the repaired knife into the dishwasher to clean it, and maybe not put any of the other knives in the set in the dishwasher any more in the future.
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 08:48:47 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

They may have gottne into the dishwasher a few times, but I think we've been pretty careful to wash them by hand.
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 02:02:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I got all of the old glue off the blade and out of the handle. The blade does indeed have a round tip. I've uploaded 3 new photos of the blade with the glue removed.
I also got all of the gloe out of the handle. It came out in one piece with a little prying and a pair of needle-point tweezers. It came out in one piece.
I tried scratching the inside of the handle slot with a sharpened screwdriver and with a dental pick. Neither of them even made a scratch. I'm starting to think that this might be glass. It might have been a good set. I don't remember. The blade says "Sheffield England".
I'm thinking that roughing up the inside may not be needed. The inside has a bit of a "wavy" surface (not smooth) and the old glue was difficult to get out. When I did, it looked to have a bit of a "bulb" at the bottom, which indicates to be that the bottom of the slot may be a bit larger by design.
I'm thinking I'm good to go.
Comments?
On 06/11/2013 08:49 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

It's pretty easy to tell if something is glass or plastic. You can tap it against your teeth and tell right away if it is glass or plastic, or you can press a razor knife into an inconspicuous area and see if it leaves a divot.
From your pictures, it "looks" like glass, but try the tooth test and see what you think.
Jon
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:33:10 -0700, Jon Danniken

It's very hard. I think it's glass.
On 6/11/2013 10:49 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

I adore my lady friends who can fix things. I loaned tools and heat shrink to one of my grownup girlfriends so she could rewire the fuel injection on the cylinder head off her Z-car. She used the kitchen table for a workbench. ^_^
TDD