Repaint Garage - Kilz or not?

My garage was sheetrock covered and textured and previous owners used gidden flat white paint on the ceiling and walls.
I am going to repaint with an enamel for better liquid resistance and easy cleaning. I have bought the Behr eggshell Enamel. This will go on the walls and the ceiling.
My question is that should I prime it with kilz 2 latex "primer".. During my multiple visits to home depot one guy told me to use it, and next time another person told me I don't need it because the existing paint is flat, the enamel would seal and cover it just fine, and the kilz would be wasting time and money.
Another question is that I have a water stain from a previous water leak that has been fixed. If I paint over this spot with primer and enamel and the leak re-occurs, am I not going to be able to see this until the condition is very bad? The way it is now, water have no problem forming a yellow mark over the existing flat latex paint.
On 20 Jan 2005 15:23:10 -0800, jeremy snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (jj3000) wrote:

Kilz has always been used to cover up water stains. It does an excellent job. It won't prevent them. If you don't have stains, just use a regular primer.
Zinnerman (sp?) is much better than Kilz
(jj3000) wrote:

That's Zinnzer. I find them both ok. I don't think you need a primer. Just consider the existing flat latex a primer. If you are really hyped by the stain, use either stainkiller over that area, first.
Shellac has been the default stain sealer for years and Zinsser now makes Seal Coat which is a dewaxed shellac with claimed 3 year shelf life.

I would suggest the Zinsser High Hide Cover Stain. This stuff is great.
My son & I used it to prime a bare drywall garage interior, we went to lunch & finished the job after lunch with a single coat of white latex paint. Done!
cheers Bob
fix your water leak first then go to a real paint store and get their advice.
The Kilz primer is appropriate for the areas that were water stained. It does a good job of preventing the stain from bleeding through the new top coat. It won't stop a new water stain from appearing. I'd use Kilz on any water stains, the rest of the areas, the enamel will go on over latex ok.