Removing Spray Paint From Concrete

My driveway has some no-longer-needed marker lines applied a few years ago, using masking tape and ordinary spray paint from a can. What suggestions do you have for removing the paint now?

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

Some of that graffiti-off stuff school janitors use, and/or a power washer. Any janitorial supply should carry it- usually citrus-based. It depends on the paint used and how the driveway was finished. Concrete or asphalt? If asphalt, just rough it up with scotchbrite pad, and sealcoat the area. How many years ago is 'a few'? In my experience, ordinary spray paint is usually gone within a year, just from weather.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Concrete.

Less than 3, more than 2.

You probably have more "exciting" weather than I do in Southern California. :-)

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

Any of the available paint removers will work on concrete.

Reply to
trader4

My driveway has some no-longer-needed marker lines applied a few years ago, using masking tape and ordinary spray paint from a can. What suggestions do you have for removing the paint now?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

I've used a propane torch and a stiff brass-bristle wire brush. I melt the paint then immediately brush it off. It will leave black metallic/carbon marks but the carbon will come off with a scrubbing using a good concrete cleaning solution and an acid brush once you are done torching. Then after a year it should all be invisible. With this method at least nothing petroleum based is "soaking into" the concrete causing even worse problems.

Reply to
RickH

Home Depot sells an aerosol can of graffiti remover that worked fine to get the top 90% of the original paint off easily. A second application, and some scrubbing, got the next 5% off. I can live with the remaining 5%, which may weather away when the winter temps drop into the 60s, and our annual day of rain arrives in November or December. :-)

Thanks to all.

and

Reply to
CWLee