Removing rust on steel door

We have an external metal door that has rust showing through the paint. I want to re-paint the door, but I want to remove the rust first and then use the right paint to prevent it from coming back.
I would imagine using steel wool is a good idea. Is there a solvent (i.e. naval jelly) or something that I should use as well? Then, use a primer and rustolium (sp?)??
Thanks. Any tips are appreciated.
Auto stores carry typically several rust converters that are put on rust that stop action and provide a surface ready for paint.
On 22 Aug 2004 16:35:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.gov (Rileyesi) wrote:

<< I would imagine using steel wool is a good idea. >>
No it isn't. Best to use a wet/dry abarsive paper. Your project is similar to refinishing a car, so one could use techniques and materials similar to autobody stuff.
<< Is there a solvent (i.e. naval jelly) >>
Many things that actively dissolve rust are too potent for mere home owners. Milder acids are OK after most of the rust is removed. IIRC, Naval Jelly is one of many products that leave a passive surface of iron phospahte behind that is beneficial for paint.
<< Then, use a primer and rustolium (sp?)?? >>
Rustoleum primers and paints have earned a good rep for years because they perform as advertised. Bottom line, sand with wet/dry paper, treat with a phosphating product if you wish, use Rustoleum or similar primer and topcoat. HTH
Joe
On 22 Aug 2004 16:35:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.gov (Rileyesi) wrote:

Sandpaper (150 and 220 grits) is better than steel wool. Use a sanding block. Vacuum off the dust and wipe with mineral spirits. Use Rustoleum rusty metal primer (it is a rusty color) and follow directions carefully. It is better to remove the door, rest it on two saw horses, and work from there. Get a friend to help you move it.
Rileyesi wrote:

Remove door. Take to auto paint shop. Painted to perfection. Cheap (~$50)