removing fuel oil odor from concrete basement floor

Can anyone offer a success story about removing the odor of fuel oil from a basement concrete floor after the old oil heater and tank have been removed? What worked well, what didn't, etc.
Thanks.

http://www.servpro.com /
That's who all the insurance companies use.

Probably a floor buffer with scrubbing pad, alot of degreaser and soap, maybe a power wash.

Spread kitty litter over it, let it rub in and the sweep up. Follow with bleach.

once the concrete floor is clean you could sandblast it......
but the oil will have soaked into the entire slab.
you could jackhammer out the area, or seal the clean floor with outdoor polyurethane

The oil absorbent stuff from auto parts stores works better and is cheaper.
AZ Nomad wrote:

It should help break down the hydrocarbons. It'll also get rid of the perfume in the cat litter.
you cant get rid of a odor in concrete or other absorbent material like wood or drywall.
all you can do is clean as best as you can, and seal the odor in.......
outdoor poly is what the fire restoration companies use.
outdoor poly is prefered because it wouldnt soften in moisture, and let the odor out again......
if the odor is bad clean the walls joists etc and use the outdoor poly or kilz primer sealer on everything in the area. walls floor, beams etc.
a smell ridden home can be made odor free if you follow these simple directions
works for urine, smoke and every other odor
Thanks all for your suggestions. Someone offline wrote that he used ZEP Driveway, Concrete and Masonry Cleaner Concentrate that he bought at Home Depot and it worked well. So, I'll probably try that first.

How bad it the odor? Can you use fans to power vent the area for a while (summer?) how long & how much oil leaked? Just little from the heater removal or for a LONG time (like the life of the heater)?
This will determine how much oil has worked into the slab (& beyond). The oil will migrate towards lower oil concentration.
When surface the surface is cleaned the oil will come back.
Where I use to worked we had he very occasional small hydraulic oil leak. We used powered laundry soap & make very loose paste, let it sit & scrub occasionally. Mop up & wash the rags. You'll have a very clean upper surface & the oil will migrate back up. This process can go on for a LONG time.
And only you can tell when the "smell is gone". When you're satisfied with the odor removal, seal the floor but that could create a maint problem due to moisture under the floor :(
cheers Bob
alta47 wrote:

in a spray or a powder. Check with your local oil company and ask if you can buy some or whatever they use. You can also do a search.
replying to alta47, electric wrote: So, did you ever get the smell removed, and any tips about what works, what doesn't? Thanks much.
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 19:44:02 +0000, electric wrote:

No, it still smells. In fact, the folks living there *EIGHT YEARS AGO* when they posted were overcome by the smell and all died in the basement. Oh boy, did THAT add to the smell!!!
Why can't you Home Moaners Hub people read the damn DATES??
--
sam

replying to Sam Hill, electric wrote: Hey, Sam. I did read the dates, which is exactly why I reached out to see how it all turned out. I'm trying to find out what really worked, if anything. Hope that makes sense and doesn't irritate you even more. I really am interested in how it turned out.
On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 02:44:01 +0000, electric wrote:

Do you think "alta47" has been hanging around for the *eight years* just waiting to answer your post? Would you still be checking for answers after that long?
Read alta47's post at this date/time: posted on July 24, 2008, 3:54 pm
replying to Sam Hill, electric wrote: Of course not, but many folks get emails about posts, and respond. And some people are actually helpful and nice, and follow up with great advice long after the fact. Thanks for your additional input.
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 11:14:05 AM UTC-5, electric wrote:

Then if you want to restart an 8 year old thread, it would probably be better to say something like, "I have the same problem, anyone have anything new to add to what's here?", instead of addressing questions to the specific poster from 8 years ago, implying you think they are still there, actively reading it.

If they could read, they wouldn't be on the Hub.