Removing Convection feature of convection oven

We have a convection oven, but never use the convection feature (bought it used from previous owner). It takes up a few inches of space in the back, so I want to remove the fan and heating element. I see when I pull the coil out, it extends into the back of the oven a ways, and there's a white foam substance there, too. Can I simply remove the heating element? I imagine I need to open up the back of the oven to do so; anything I should be aware of? Thanks.

Reply to
Jack

Why not just isolate one of the leads to the fan? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

How about that; one question and I'm already out of my league! By isolate, I imagine you mean to disconnect it? I haven't taken the back off yet, as it's a pain to pull out and wanted to get feedback before doing so. That's part of what I was wondering: what am I going to find inside? Do I simply disconnect (and is it simple) the heating element from the wires (leads?)? What's the white foam I see in there, and is this okay to do? I can't "simply" do one lead, as I need to remove the heating element and fan to make room in the oven, the main reason I'm doing this. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Reply to
Jack

Just realized that you specifically said to the fan. Again, I'll need to disconnect both as I need to remove the fan, too. But also, there's a separate heating element behind the fan solely for the convection oven feature, that I want to remove. Again, sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.

Reply to
Jack

Hi,

Make, model#?

model# helps.

Why?

You would have to access the back of the range and disconnect the wires for the fan motor and for ( if it has one ) the seperate convection element and tape up the wire ends. On the inside the fan cover at the back of the oven can be removed to pull out the fan motor and element.

Insulation, high temp insulation is whitish.

Unless you want to buy new racks you won't be gaining any space at the back since the original racks won't fill the whole space anyway.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff