Removing Carrier outside panels

Dear Doug, Most of the fellows on this group are HVAC employess or shop owners. Asking us for a "free how to do it" is like walking in to a restaurant with two slices of bread and two eggs. and asking for a free breakfast. YOu're not likely to get much cooperaion on this list, and will likely get some implolite folks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This particular newsgroup is simply too macho and full of wit for me. I can't take it any more.

Doug Kanter

I understand. I wouldn't want some guy in Minnesota to lose business because I didn't call him to fix my AC unit here in upstate NY. But, I wonder if that same guy will replace a worn out cord on a lamp, or call an electrician.

Doug Kanter

WHY? Does he need to wrap it in the rain too?

Reply to
webmaster

If that is the case, they are very narrow minded. Why do some of the top chefs and restaurant owners give away recipes and do cooking demonstrations for free?

I don't want to deny you making a good living, but are you losing money if I do a repair with your help? Will you come to my house and do it at your normal price? Of course not, it would be impractical.

Of course, most the guys on alt.hvac are a bunch of closed minded idiots anyway that have great disdain for homeowners. I'd never let any of them work on my system as their ego would get in the way of doing a good job.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And some, ok..one..Chris, AKA the Stumped Moron, is a locksmith that thinks hes an HVAC guy, and he hides behind his temple robes that he stole from Donny and Marie. LOCKSMITH there...and he is going around calling everyone that knows this, and calls him on it rude, and impolite. Sheesh...Im not rude or impolite..im just not politically correct. Oh..wait..yes I am.. Fuck off Chris. BTW Doug, altho many of the DIY guys wont like this, but altho your unit may very well seem to be running better after you chem clean, and flush the outer coil, check the superheat, or subcool since its going to change with the lower head pressures that you have created by this partial service. While you are at it, you should also clean your blower, your evap, and condensate drain. THEN, check your superheat or subcool, since you will have allowed the coil to absorb more heat and increased airflow over it. In other words...your charge, MAY no longer be correct.

webmaster

I would be glad to help by walking you through it since I am retired and don't need your business. :) I can't get the pictures to come up so I don't know which model you have. This newsgroup is a joke when it comes to helping out anyone.

Doug Kanter wrote:

chevelless

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:44:31 -0400 " snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com" posted:

Why wouldn't it hurt? Why would it?

Like he said, he's going to be spraying the water from the side. Where I come from, it rains from the top.

My AC also has a solid 8 to 10 inch disk which I think is meant to shield the motor from rain. It's just bigger than the motor.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

My unit is very clean, the coils are clean, and there is nothing in the coils. I usually shoot water on it once a year, but nothing drastic. Maybe it is just better designed than some, or we just keep trash away from the base--the fan blows straight up.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yep I was wrong on the models include in the Carrier manual someone pointed to. The motor is not attached to the top on my model which is completely round and a 1983 model.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Ok, I already admitted the models shown in the Carrier manual have the fan attached to the top. Not on my model.

Wrong. So it needs cleaner, did I specify what kind of stream? You can't have it both ways. If it is clean, it will look clean and if it looks clean, it will be clean. If it is dirty and you say it looks clean, maybe you need your "look" fixed.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"chevelless" wrote

Then why aren't you laughing?

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

"Doug Kanter" wrote

Speaking of horizontal hosing...

I dated this girl in school once........

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

" snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com" wrote in message news:1A_Ce.235$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net...

Uh oh. He's really gonna be upset when he finds out I installed my own dishwasher.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

There are two ways of putting messages in more than one newsgroup. One's obnoxious. One's not. I did it in the way that's NOT obnoxious. Thanks for the input, and have a nice day.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's a 38TK018300 Serial #: 0389E19460

Doug Kanter

" snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com" wrote in message news:Mt1De.251$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net...

I'm assuming that it's gonna need more than what little I can do to it.

This unit came with the house I bought last September. Previously, I used an HVAC contractor that was terrific, but when there were problems with the furnace (2 year old Goodman high-E), I called the name on the sticker because the thing's still under warranty. The guy did NOT inspire confidence, to put it politely. I didn't even give him the chance to come over - I called my previous contractor, who, after looking at the installation, said "Holy shit....". $150.00 later, some fine points of installation were straightened out.

I *like* supporting these people, and normally don't mind paying whatever is necessary because they do excellent work, and employ great people. But, money's ridiculously tight at the moment, so if I can save even the smallest amount of labor $$$, it'll help. On the other hand, I know when I'm about to get into something that's beyond my abilities.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The fins are in good shape (not bent), but about 30% of the surface area is clogged with what appears to be something similar to dryer lint. Very fibrous.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

What's interesting (in the midst of this little love-fest) is this: In my previous house, I had a really ancient furnace (eventually replaced), and the HVAC guy I used often asked me (over the phone) to try a couple of not-too-involved things on my own when there were problems. If these suggestions didn't work, one of his people would come over and take care of it.

Result: If anyone asked me who I used for HVAC work, I would NOT tell them. Rather, I would write down the guy's name and stick the piece of paper in the person's hand, to make sure they remembered, and tell them they were nuts if they went anywhere else.

If someone saves me money when they feel it's appropriate, I send the money right back to them one way or another. That's how businesses are built.

Reply to
Doug Kanter