Removing Carrier outside panels

The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the top. What's the correct procedure here?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You need to call a professional service technician. Don't f*ck with it, you might blow yourself up.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

By removing the cover from a unit whose circuit breaker is shut off? Are they rigged with explosives?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

First of all, spraying it with the hose can just push the stuff deeper into the fins. You need a foaming coil cleaning for that, or (after turning power off to it) take the top off and spray it from the inside.

But you would be doing your unit a favor by keeping the weeds and grass away from it.

Reply to
Vicki Szaszvari

don't need your business.

alt.home.repair is for getting Home repairs not alt.hvac. The only reason your getting the bad responses is because you're cross posting. AHR will not get you flamed unless you ask for it..

Reply to
Joseph

Are you all not part of the same Gypsy clan?

Reply to
HeyBub

Take off the top. It may house the exhaust fan. Careful.

Remove the side panels.

Wash from the inside with a pressure washer. Careful - too much pressure can bend the fins. Use soap if you can.

Don't worry too much about wetting any electrical stuff. Think rain.

If you can blow any residual water out, go for it. Else let the thing dry for a bit before you re-activate it.

Put the thing back together. As best you can. Some screw holes will not line up properly.

Reply to
HeyBub

Doug, You have already received excellent answered from field experts here. However, if you think they are bullshitting you; Read about the outdoor coil on page 4.

Then read what an expert would do on page 2 of this link.
Jabs

Jabs

Thanks. No time to read it at the moment, but I appreciate the response. I'd rather have REASONS, instead of just "don't". Given good reasons, I probably won't touch it.

Doug Kanter

Yes we are clueless..... as to the OPs abilities, capabilities, tools, common sense, etc. Its not a matter of the OP being a prospective customer, it is a matter of not encouraging somebody to become the latest Darwin Award nominee. If you can tell from a few words posted on the internet that the OP can handle it, and your willing to take the risk of the liability, then knock yourself out.

Reply to
Noon-Air

The four in the middle hold the fan motor in place...yes, they do.... Dear God...thats funny....thanks for the entertainment..LOL

Wrong. He will need a foaming cleaner to do it right, or he will just make it LOOK clean, it wont be, but it sure will look clean.

Reply to
webmaster

But, you dont get it... Stormin is a locksmith in NY....NOT an HVAC guy.

webmaster

Take the top off. Don't know what the 4 screws in the middle are for, but it is unlikely that the fan is screwed to the top. Take the screws off around the periphery and then tap up.

You really shouldn't need to take it apart just wash with a stream wherever you can.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:11:23 GMT "Doug Kanter" posted:

Most things will dry off if you wait 2 or 3 days, but it wouldn't hurt to wrap the motor in a big plastic trash bag. Don't forget to unwrap it before putting the cover on.

I don't know whether it needs cleaning or not, without seeing it. I don't think mine is dirty at all after 26 years (??) but some of the fins are bent together at the bottom. Trying to straighten them out, even with a fin comb, turned out to be very slow-go, so I stopped. Of course I only run the AC 10 or 20 days a year.

You're posting to two groups. If Stormin thinks hvac isn't friendly, I guess you should concentrate on the other one.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

I'm thinking of washing from the inside because the air's pulling the crap in from the outside of the fins. So, I wonder if a stream strong enough (from the outside) might force water into electrical stuff that, even though it's meant to be outdoors, isn't designed for a horizontal hosing. I dunno...

Reply to
Doug Kanter

They used vials of nitroglycerine until 1996, and then changed to plastique. You didn't know that?

Of course, we might be teasing you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about just remove every screw or nut you can find?

Yeah, the fan't not atached to the top. Remove those first, and don't pay any mind to the clang noise, or the hissing that follows.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dear Doug, Most of the fellows on this group are HVAC employess or shop owners. Asking us for a "free how to do it" is like walking in to a restaurant with two slices of bread and two eggs. and asking for a free breakfast. YOu're not likely to get much cooperaion on this list, and will likely get some implolite folks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon