Removing carpet pad residue from hardwood floor

I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know a good trick?

Try a product called "Goof-off".
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Floor sander?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I know 3 people who tried that. Worked for 1, but for the other two, it turned the pad into hot, sticky goop.

Turpentine.

How can that be? It's too simple. :-)

Try it and report back!
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:39:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

An erasor ought to do it.

I'm talking about residue that's 1/16 of an inch thick, stuck on. Not stains. I doubt an erasEr would work on residue that thick.
Rent an electric floor scraping machine.

goo gone or goof off should do it fairly easy, use with a scotchbrite pad or stripping pad which is rougher, unless your planning on refinishing the floor,, in which caser just sand

Depends on how much area you gotta do.......
small area try solvents...what works will depend on what's there
Is it really pad OR glue from some glue down carpet?
BTW Goof-Off is mostly (if not all) xylene......a gallon of xylene is a LOT cheaper than the equal amount of Goof-Off.
If solvents don't do the trick.......floor sander (rum or floor sander)
Are you going to re-finish floor?....if so, sander....forget the solvents.
cheers Bob

Depends on how much area you gotta do.......
small area try solvents...what works will depend on what's there
Is it really pad OR glue from some glue down carpet?
BTW Goof-Off is mostly (if not all) xylene......a gallon of xylene is a LOT cheaper than the equal amount of Goof-Off.
If solvents don't do the trick.......floor sander (drum or floor sander)