Removing carpet pad residue from hardwood floor

I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know a good trick?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Try a product called "Goof-off".

Reply to
sherry.lamoreaux

Floor sander?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I know 3 people who tried that. Worked for 1, but for the other two, it turned the pad into hot, sticky goop.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Turpentine.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

How can that be? It's too simple. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Try it and report back!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

An erasor ought to do it.

Reply to
Goedjn

I'm talking about residue that's 1/16 of an inch thick, stuck on. Not stains. I doubt an erasEr would work on residue that thick.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Rent an electric floor scraping machine.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

goo gone or goof off should do it fairly easy, use with a scotchbrite pad or stripping pad which is rougher, unless your planning on refinishing the floor,, in which caser just sand

Reply to
hallerb

Depends on how much area you gotta do.......

small area try solvents...what works will depend on what's there

Is it really pad OR glue from some glue down carpet?

BTW Goof-Off is mostly (if not all) xylene......a gallon of xylene is a LOT cheaper than the equal amount of Goof-Off.

If solvents don't do the trick.......floor sander (rum or floor sander)

Are you going to re-finish floor?....if so, sander....forget the solvents.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Depends on how much area you gotta do.......

small area try solvents...what works will depend on what's there

Is it really pad OR glue from some glue down carpet?

BTW Goof-Off is mostly (if not all) xylene......a gallon of xylene is a LOT cheaper than the equal amount of Goof-Off.

If solvents don't do the trick.......floor sander (drum or floor sander)