Removing hardwood floor

I installed about 600 sq.ft. of engineered hardwood flooring in our house. Well it seems there was a bad flashing on the roof and water ran down the wall onto the floor so I have to remove about 30 sq. ft. I have stopped the water problem at the source. Well the flooring is on a slab so it's glued down. I have a hand floor scraper and an old 2" wood chisel these work great on vinyl floors so there my weapons of choice any other ideas on what to use? I'm trying to keep the dust down . I used a peanut grinder with a wire brush to clean the floor before the install what a mess even holding a shop vac. by it. Now before anybody ask putting in a insurance clame would raise my rates. The previous owner probably had no idea about the leak very thick carpet plus dog used room for a toilet.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in news:vhcLh.8294$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

The removal difficulty depends on the glue. Water damage might have made the glue crumbly and easy to remove.

Pry up the edge of the first board, then stick a screwdriver in to keep it off the floor. Move over a few inches and pry again. Stick in a bigger screwdriver. Eventually, the board will pop free. If you're lucky, the tongue-and-groove edge will be salvageable. If not, cut it off with your table saw.

Use a 4" razor scraper to clean the glue off the floor and the back of the board. Remember to turn the blade in the scraper around so the sharp edge is out. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

The razor scraper is your friend. Go slow and be careful. Slow smooth strokes work better than hard fast ones. Most of the glue should come off in big strings. Pick it up with your shop vac.

The last job I did like this was moving boards from a back office into a lobby to replace water-damaged boards. I managed to salvage almost all the boards, except the ones along the beginning edge.

Reply to
Steve

I thought abut a router and 3/4 bit and just cutting a bunch slots. The problem with the engineered flooring the inner ply's just seem to fracture preventing working the whole piece. I have tried working the pieces up a little bit at a time

Reply to
Sacramento Dave