removing bricks from a wall?

I am typickly handy, will try anything but framing out a room and dry way, Just assume higher that out.

but, I was looking at a home with an "interesting" brick pattern. Worked into the pattern of the brick, are round rocks. In a symmetrical pattern, there is a strange round rock set into the brick, the rocks are 6" in diameter, and protrude from the home 4 -6" it looks like a very basic claiming wall, one might see in a gym. It latterly looks like some one got in a HUGE mud ball fight in the front yard, not attractive. I want to remove the rocks and any effected bricks w/o re-bricking the whole home. How involved is it to remove a small section of brick? These rocks are round, so I assume they affect

4-6 bricks. So I will be removing them, getting as much of the mortar out, and replacing with the closest matching brick I can find. I can produce more accurate measurements, if needed but in a 10' square of bricks, I would assume there are 4-5 of these rocks in the pattern. It is a very symmetrical pattern, so I am confidant that the new off colored bricks will look much better then these rocks, worst case I can alternate a little paint, or paint the whole home, once I get thes "zits" off the wall.

So how hard is it to remove random bricks (or rocks) from a brick pattern, and replace them with new bricks?

how close together can they be before removing them jeprodizes the integrity of the wall.

As you can image, this home has sat on the market for several months, and is undervalued, but I think a good investment for me, if I can get past or fix these silly rocks.

Reply to
CJATE

I would not do it. I suspect it will look a lot worse, not only are you going to have a difficult time trying to match the brick as there are hundreds of them, you also need to match the mortar and that will be even harder. The result will then look like someone tried to patch up some problems as now it looks like someone tried to be artistic.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Do you really write that badly? Yeesh.

You mean, tipically, drywall and hire it out?

Color matching to the existing bricks will be a bitch.

Depends on whether it's an actual brick wall or just veneer. If it's brick veneer facing blocks then, heck, it might be simpler to just remove the whole facade and replace it entirely.

If you're just going to paint the wall then you could potentially knock the face off the protruding rocks with a chisel to level them to the surface of the bricks. Then just paint over it. You'd probably have to repoint a few places here and there along with putting bricks in places where the rocks don't break cleanly.

The manual labor required to whack all those rocks could be CONSIDERABLE. I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself unless you're really fond of using a chisel and maul and want forearms like Popeye once you're done. But an incredibly sore back and arms in the meanwhile.

Best bet would be to talk with a local brick/stone mason. Explain the situation and see what they say.

Reply to
wkearney99

thanks,

I did not think of the morter,

I'll get a few bids before I look much further. but this home is 40%+ under value, and I know it's becouse of this silly exsterior.

thanks again,

Reply to
CJATE

I think he meant typically, driveway, and hire that out, but it's open to interpretation. ;)

To the OP: A house being 40% under market value because of the siding? For that big of a savings a lot of people would learn to love it.

That type of construction with the inset clinker brick or stone can be very nice. It can also be done poorly. It's not clear if it's your personal opinion on the masonry or if it's an eyesore. Let's see a picture.

RicodJour