Removing a jacuzzi

We have a builder installed Jacuzzi in the master bath. As I remember it, they put a bag of cement under it during installation. It has an ugly tile surround. We are thinking of replacing the surround with Corian. It would be preferable to remove the Jacuzzi (it fits 2 people) for installation of the corian. I haven't begun dissassembly yet and of course inadequate service access was left to inspect underneath the Jacuzzi but I am thinking that the cement is likely to make removal of the Jacuzzi just about impossible. Anyone ever try this? Obviously we are hoping not to damage the Jacuzzi tub.

My alternative plan is to take all the legs off and let the plywood surround drop to the floor. The Corian installer then should have enuf clearance from a sheet of plywood on top of the Jacuzzi to work and install seams and sand the surround. Then we raise it and reinstall the legs (which will have to be shortened by the thickness of the corian if we want the Corian under the lip).

Reply to
Art

It's unlikely the cement (or mortar or joint compound) is bonded to the bottom of the tub. It's placed there to conform to the in-place shape of the tub and provide even support. The tub should lift off of it with little effort beyond the weight of the tub itself. If the tub may no go back in exactly the same position you should remove the cement and reapply fresh when reinstalling the tub to insure proper support.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I used the expanding spray foam to give support....works great.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Not as much compressive strength, put probably adequate given the total surface area the load is spread over. Drywall joint compound seems to be the most commonly used and is a lot cheaper than expanding foam.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I doubt if that stuff supports much weight before it compresses.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Actually Jacuzzi online instructions mentions the foam that expands minimally as being suitable.

Reply to
Art