remove old paint layers from 1963 bathroom

flaking badly but it won't come off with scraping, sanding, flaming. Tried for a week. Mother is coming next week! Ideas for mechanical removal or safe solvent? (Small fragile pets in house.) Papering not an option, layers would peel underneath. Thanks & Happy New Year.

New layer of drywall?
Panelling?

Sounds like my bathroom. Use Klean Strip paint remover, the 15 minute stronger version. It was the only thing that worked good for me. I can't find a picture of it online, but they sell it at Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart. I am not sure if Wal-Mart sells the one gallon version so try Home Depot and Lowes first. I used this and it even got paint off of a bathtub that had been painted. Very low odor too.