Remove Electrical Junction Box

Hello! First of all, many thanks in advance for taking time to answer my question.

I would like to add 2 additional switches to 1 existing switch, as I would like to install 2 additional lights. Since I cannot extend the existing 1 Gang box (it is plastic and no side screw holes for extension), the only option I have is to remove it and put in a new 3 gang junction box.

However, the challenge here is that the existing junction box is nailed to the stud behind my drywall. When I open the face plate, I can see only the junction box, no extra space for my hand to go around to pull out the nail. Any suggestion ?

Use hammer to destroy the existing box, then pull the screw out ?

Many Thanks in advance. Shawn

Reply to
sftong2000

Use a drywall saw to enlarge the existing opening to accomodate the triple gang box. Reach through the new opening to pull the wires out of the old box. Now you can use a saw/hammer/chisel to destroy the old box, then silp the nnew one in.

Reply to
Bob

Only? You couldn't put in an "old work" two gang box an inch to the side of it?

I'm not happy with that. What's on the other side of the wall?

Reply to
mm

Why not just install a single gang - three switch switch? I've seen them at Home Despot many times. Decora style I think.

Reply to
Noozer

I agree, although I've been able to slip a flatbar between the box and stud and just pry it off. You do have to push the non fastened side of the box back into the wall first

Reply to
RBM

They make 3 and 4 Switch Switches for a Single Gang box.

I've used these, they can get tight, but better then tearing a bigger hole in the wall.

Scott Hello!

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Use a Dremel with the right grinding stone to grind off the head of the nail(s). It will be slow but it will leave you with a neater result.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Typically when I replace a box with a larger box, I first trace the new box over the existing box(faceplate removed). I then cut out the wall to fit the new box. Now I have a larger hole.

Using a flat head screwdriver, I pry and work the old box off the studd. Once it's far enough off, use needle nose pliers to remove the nails. Once the nails are lose, I feel around int eh wall and makesure all cables are anchored, I don't want cables dropping into the wall. If so, I just push the cables, gently out of the old box into the wall. Once all cables cleared, I removed the box.

I Have been known to drop a box or two in the wall, with no nails it seems to pose no problems in the future.

Now this works for me, every person seems to be different, hth, and remember only qualified people shall work on electrical systems.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Sparks?

Reply to
Tom The Great

Sparks? sure, but they will be contained inside the box.

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Hello,

Thanks everyone for contributing to my question about adding 2 switches to 1 existing switch. I like both ideas of either removing the existing 1 gang junction box with a 3 gang box, or add a 2-gang box next to existing 1 gang box.

For the later suggestion, I face a challenge -- existing 1 gang box does not have side knock out, and I am trying to tap the electricity from this 1 gang box for the additional 2 gang box.

FYI, my house is built in 1999, and the existing 1 gang box is non-metal (seems plastic to me).

Questions:

1) I guess I need to knock-out a hole at the back of the 1 gang box, and extend the hot and neutral wires out to the back, turn around and enter into the back (or knock-out) of 2 gang box ? I could not see clearly, but I think there is a knock out at back of 1 gang box. 2) Since I plan to have 1 face plate of 3 switches, can I still add the 2 gang box and all 3 switches still fit into the standard 3-switch face plate ? I worry it may not fit. In this case, any special type of gang box I should buy, like the old metal gang box or the new plastic gang box ?

Thanks again! Shawn

.

mm wrote:

Reply to
sftong2000

You can get triple switches (with one terminal common) that fit in single boxes.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

sometimes it easier to install another box at a nearby location and feed the new box from the old one or from another location.

thinking of it needs change, and i tend to add outlets etc as needed. for me its no big deal. i enjoy fishing wires that probably makes me wierd

Reply to
hallerb

So go out the back - where the original wires come in to the existing box.

Light brown? It's a variety of Bakelite.

There's another option: "The Clapper."

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm sure there's another opening or knock-out.

No, not as far as I know. I'm 99.9$ sure you couldn't get them close enough together.

My suggestion was to have two boxes, and two plates of the same style.

Reply to
mm