remove adhesive from wall?

We just moved into our new house and the previous owner had some squares of cord/bark mounted on one of the walls. With alot of effort we removed all of the squares, but they were held on with somethign like liquid nails. I scaped off alot of this adhesive and smoothed it out but there is still plenty on the wall. I'd like to make that wall smooth and paint over it.
Some people have told me I need to get all of the old adhesive off. Others have told me to just put a skim coat of plaster over it and then sand and paint it. To remove the old adhesive will be really tough...the stuff is really on there.
Should I remove it or could I just plaster over it?
Thanks

If you have plaster over it there will be a bump in the wall.
Try removing the adhesive with something like Goo Gone. http://www.googone.com/googone/faq.aspx

Both. No way you can go over it and have it come out looking good as it will leave bumps. It is possible to remove it and fill the recesses though. In any case, it is a real PITA job. It may be just as easy to add a 3/8" drywall over the existing wall and start with a clean smooth surface.
On 8/17/2008 7:13 AM Edwin Pawlowski spake thus:

If you're going to go that route (re-rocking the wall), why not use 1/4" drywall? I've used it over plywood.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
Thanks for the responses.
Mash wrote:

A good trick for that is to use J-channel to give the drywall a crisp edge, and some sort of grout or paint to make the old layer of wall behind it vanish.
--
aem sends...

On 8/17/2008 7:24 PM Mash spake thus:

No. That's the lazy way out. It'll look crappy and you'll regret it.
It is some work cutting to an irregular contour, but it's doable by almost anyone with the patience. Get yourself some big pieces of cardboard. Cut them (utility knife, scissors, whatever) to match the stones. Use them as templates to mark the drywall. Cut the contour with a wallboard saw. Takes a little longer but will look *much* better (you can impress your friends).
When done, you'll want to use caulk, not mud, to fill whatever gap there is (joint compound will impossible to get off the stones), then paint.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I

Had the same problem, was advised to forget trying to remove glue, almost impossible. Eventually used a solvent remover and scrapper needed a bit of time but worked. Finished with a light sand and then sealed the plaster.
Mash wrote: ...

You'll need to get the surface flat one way or the other.
I'd try a heavy putty knife w/ sharp, not blunt edge and see if could just slice under the globs, not worrying much (as in any) about gouges as they can be filled easily.
If there's too much of it or it doesn't go fast enough to suit, I'd simply cut out that section of wallboard back to nearest pair of studs (find them and make straight cut down the middle) and replace it.

goo gone or goof off is amazing stuff.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Not worth the time and effort for as much volume as is left by construction adhesive...
dpb wrote:

You might try a power sander. If I recall, the adhesive is dried to a hard substance. Sanding might get it off. Good luck!
On 8/17/2008 4:18 PM Chuck spake thus:

Nope. Scraping. Easier, less messy, won't spread gummy adhesive residue around.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
On 8/17/2008 11:08 AM dpb spake thus:

I agree. Scraping is the way to go here. Don't sweat gouges--in fact, it might be better to gouge the wall a bit, rather than risk leaving bits of leftover adhesive here and there. A little bit of mud (drywall joint compound) will take care of those.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I

There's a tube of stuff that will remove Liquid Nails, it works, kind of. Can't think of what the name is but it's available probably anywhere that Liquid Nails is. It isn't Goo Gone.
You could do what I did to a wall that had a bunch of 12" square mirrors glued to it: get as much of the glue off as possible, then paint it with some kind of texture (sand-like substance) mixed into the paint. It tends to hide the existing imperfections.
gobears81 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/remove-adhesive-from-wall-325460-.htm : I moved into a new home where the previous owner had put 27 mirrors on her wall above the master bed. Each mirror had three pieces of foam adhesive (81 pieces of adhesive). I tried water, isopropyl alcohol, Fantastic 409, Goo Gone, and Goof Off.
After trying many combinations, here's the best combination I could come up with: 1) Spray Goo Gone on a rag and wipe immediately over the adhesive. 2) Wipe around softly for 1-2 seconds. 3) Wait 1 minute 4) Use a dry area of the rag/t-shirt to rub vigorously on the wall.
Do not use Goof Off unless you are planning on repainting.
Good luck!
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 357552 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##