Remote control outdoor lighting?

Page 4 of 4
A 3 way wired switch may be best, my, x-10 only take 5-600 watts a module. They may have higher watt units avalaible, but 3000 is alot. Consider Halogen tube 500 watt rectangular floodlight fixtures. 1800-2000 watts should give the same light output or more due to the reflector and design. You need to experiment a few good high output fixtures may do all you need . Either way X -10 is expandable.
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:33:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Agreed. A couple of 500 or 1000 watt Halogen fixtures will be cheap, instant on when needed, and bright. X10 modules are available for control, but make sure that they are the ones capable of handling high current. Consider some motion sensors as well because you might not always be awake to hear the bad guys.
A conventional switch is better if you just had one point as your control, but since you have two, you might have to consider other options. A conventional 3 way switch in both locations and on a 20A circuit would work. Adding a pilot light at both locations would be a nice touch.
For a little more money, you could put in a contactor with a 30 AMP switch or more for the lighting circuit. The noise of the relay slamming in would be additional benefit to startle the intruders.
In my neighborhood (in Oregon) just having guns in the house is no deterent. For one thing, just about everyone has guns around here and guns are what the burglars are looking for in many cases.
Beachcomber
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:33:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

mRansley.. Do you like the X-10 setup? I like the idea of some of their products but does any other company make the same sort of devices? I'd hate to buy from X-10 due to their barrage of pop ups, pop under's etc.. back when pop ups first came about.. (piss me off with your advertising practices and I'll never buy from ya'!) Chuck
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:00:17 -0800, Doug Kanter wrote

Doug -
My outside floodlights are not quite "prison yard", but I do have a few of them. Each group (Side, Back, Deck, etc.) is on an X10 switch. So are the entry lights by the doors and garage. That gives a lot of options. Using an X10 timer and dawn-to-dusk sensor, I can have the entry lights on from dusk to 2:00am (or whatever). And I can turn everything on with the "All Lights On" control.
You could mount an "All Lights On" switch by the front door and another by the bed. They can be hardwired or wireless, as well, which makes installation easier.
For a residential installation, I'd recommend you consider that solution, just for flexibility.
You can also use industrial-type lighting contactors. Here's an example of one rated for 20A tungsten:
http://www.controlsupply.com/itm03021.htm
In your application, you would power the lights with 2 20A branch circuits, each controlled by one of these contactors. The contactors would be installed at some convenient place, perhaps next to the service panel. The control circuit (which can be either 24VAC from a transformer or 120VAC) would get run to switches at whatever locations you wanted. If you use the low-voltage coil version, then your control wiring would be easier to run.
Assuming that the X10 solution would require 6 switches and two controllers, and probably a signal bridge, it appears the cost would be lower to use the contactors.
Good Luck,
- Kenneth

of
under
near
the
an
dusk
of
circuits,
The
the
controllers,
the
Thanks, Kenneth. This is the sort of rational information I was looking for! :-)
says...

Why do you assume that somebody who disagrees with you must be irrational?

In the case that "somebody" is you... YES

not clever, not funny, just stupid and mean.
randy
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:37:07 -0700, "xrongor"

That was for Ann Onymous's comment.. not your's..
Halogen are apx 25 30% more efficient than Incandesant, Sodium vapor apx 75-80 % more efficient than incandesant, but require warm up time . Quick on, minimal wiring , fixtures etc go big Halogen 300- 500- 1000 w , the lenses are job specific and with increased efficiency will light well. Sodium require warm up , but can Blind with lumens avalaible, but cost and are designed for alot of use.
A 500 watt Halogen fixture flood will illuminate like 1000w of ' Flood " incandesant sealed 5" bulbs, increased efficiency in one unit concentrated light.
X 10 is cheap and Radio Shack and others are re badged X 10, made by X 10. Alot of different products use X-10 design, Leviton for ex but you pay alot more for their name. I never get X 10 pop ups.
I agree that "walking" a dog is just a polite way of saying "letting him shit is someone else's yard" If a dog lives an a particular area they will usually pick a far away corner and only go there. My dog has a small spot behind the shed he uses. That is another burglar deterrance device. ;-)