Remote control outdoor lighting?

Page 3 of 4

It most certainly is. Precedents often cross state lines, particularly when lawyers and judges are discussing theory as opposed to code. This is how existing laws are reinterpreted. This is why a drunk driver who kills someone can be charged with first degree murder in one locale but not in another, simply because the judge and the grand jury felt it made sense.

Post your question in rec.guns. You'll receive a wealth of links to legal information and history. I saved some from the last time I saw this question answered. I'll find them for you over the weekend.

There are two assumptions you can make about an intruder: 1) They are armed and dangerous. 2) They are not armed and dangerous. Without physically searching the intruder, only an idiot makes the 2nd assumption.

No. Call your lawyer. No matter how many links I provide for you, you will consider them to be suspect. Your lawyer should not charge you for a 3 minute conversation.

As I mentioned earlier, you cannot prove an intruder is NOT a threat without getting dangerously close to him - something the police recommend against.
says...

Any conversation with my lawyer would most certainly not apply to where you live. I suspect you live in the USA. I don't.

In that case, you're pulling ideas out of your ass. Guessing, in other words. Where *do* you live?
says...

Really? You challenged my statement about home invasions being really rare. I countered with statistics based on the county where you live, showing that the chances of you being involved in one are approximately one in a million. I note that you haven't replied to that post...
As has been stated by others, the "castle theory" only applies in some areas of the USA. In other words, there are some places in the USA where you can kill a burglar simply because they've broken into your home, on the assumption that they're a threat. In other places, doing the same action will result in a murder charge and conviction. I think that pretty much sums up the conversation, and I'm willing to leave it at that.

I live outside of the USA.

There's no need to waste valuable weekend time digging up stats. I read and listen to the news here. I recall 4 or 5 in the past several years. Only one involved victims and invaders who knew each other - a drug situation, in other words.

It is state by state. Once you get away from the "Blue" states you find there are "castle" states (A man's home is his castle). You do not have the "obligation of retreat" (you do not have to avoid a deadly force confrontation) in your own home. This is not a blanket OK to shoot any intruder but if you can demontsate any fear of "imminent threat of personal harm" you will get away with shooting. If you live in the north east the law may seem more like UK . They have the obligation of retreat, in your home. You must demonstrate that the intruder was preventing you from running away. You get a pretty good overview with the education course that comes with the concealed weapon license in the 38 states that let you carry. The individual state laws are available on many web sites. Packing.org or NRA.org will get you started.

Even in the NE (I live in NY), it varies quite a bit based on locale. In many places, the attitude of judges & juries is that when you enter someone's home to steal (or worse), you accept the risks involved. Oh well.
Actually, I don't need to find case law for you. Do a google search using the words "self defense castle doctrine". In the results, look for URLs beginning with this: http://caselaw.findlaw.com
You'll have PLENTY of interesting reading this weekend.
says...

Simple: "Please leave now, or I will call the police." 99.9% of burglars, given the option, will leave.
The next step would be to figure out why my doors weren't locked, and why my alarm didn't go off.

Source of statistic, please.
says...

No such statistic exists, but it reflects common sense. If the burglar refuses to leave when confronted, then force may be necessary. It seems far more sensible to ASK the person to leave before pulling out a weapon and threatening them.
Also, if you "happen" to come upon a burglar in your home, especially at 3:00am, the chances of the burglar being armed are much greater than the chances of you being armed. Or do you wear a holster on your pajamas?

Ask???? That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
Oh Sir, this is my house. Perhaps you meant to break in to some other house. Would you please leave? Here, take a snack with you so you don't get hungry on the way home.
Should you call them a cab?
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net says...

Ok, perhaps telling them is more accurate. "Leave now or I'm calling the police" gives the intruder the option of leaving without getting caught by the police or getting hurt. If you were the intruder, wouldn't it be the option you're going to take?
Or would you rather ask them to stand still while you go looking for a weapon (notwithstanding the fact that they may already be armed...)?

Better.... Leave now the police are on the way (works best if an alarm system has been tripped and loud noises are being heard).
Why give the robber the option of fighting you for control of the telephone?
Beachcomber
says...

because it lowers the chance you finally get to be john wayne and shoot somebody!!
yee ha!!
randy

In my home, there's no way to enter without making an enormous amount of noise. I'd already be armed if someone got in.

There's a reason why, in the movies, the lights come on in rapid sequence rather than all at once... Have you looked at www.leviton.com?

Thanks. I can never remember their name. I usually have at least one spare electrical part hanging on the pegboard with their name on it, but not today.
You just need to run a new circuit for the lights, and put them on a RF controlled light switch. Which exist somewhere.

I can do exactly that with the X-10 system. I have a bunch of lights controlled by it. Some on timers, some manual. All timers can be overridden.
I like the button for "all lights on" when I hear a noise. Lights both in and out of the house come on with one push of a button. I have two controllers, one timer, one remote, and my car can turn two lights on. You can turn the light on at one control, off at another or any combination.
Check out www.smarthome.com or www.x-10.com