Remote control lighting

My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he can use inside his house to turn on the lights when needed? The shed is about 150 feet from his house. Any suggestions?
rile wrote:

Assuming the shed is on the same wiring system as his home, X-10 has several ways of doing that:
http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Kinda loud, ain't they? :) Have you bought from them? Good experience?
Seems like a nice price on a 4 camera tiltable surveillance system -- $269 -- Costco has non-tiltable 4 camera, about $1 K, but has the recording pyooter, iirc. http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx16a_4cam_security_camera_home_burst.html?HPCAM
--

EA

> Jeff

How are you going to power the lights? If you already have a line run from the house, put a switch at the house end. ww

There is power to the shed. He'd like to turn on the light late at night while in his bed near the window. Lazy I know but that's the idea.
rile wrote:

Photocell, relay, and strong flashlight? Set it up so first hit from the light turns the relay on, and the second turns it back off? Put the photocell at the bottom of a foot-long pipe aimed at the house bedroom window, to reduce nuisance switching?
Just an idea....
-- aem sends...

There is power to the shed. He'd like to turn on the light late at night while in his bed near the window. Lazy I know but that's the idea.
*************************************
Use an X-10 system from Smart Home or others. You can have controls in different parts of the house. Lazy? No, good security. I can turn on a couple of outside lights from my bed. I can turn on the family room and light over the door from my car.

Radio Shack and HD and Lowes and Menards have remote controlled outlets. Put the outlet on the dog shed and the controller in the bedroom.
On Thu 12 Nov 2009 09:04:00p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

I really like the X-10 system. In a previous home in Ohio, virtually every light in and outside of the house had X-10 controllers. We had control pads in strategic locations throughout the house, including next to the bed. I also had a key fob button for use in the car. One press of the master button on any panel and every light in the house could be turned on or off or dimmed. Obviously, individual zones could be controlled independtly, as well.
If I'd get off my lazy butt, I would do the same in our present house. :-)
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

rile wrote:

He could install a sound controlled light switch that would come on when the dogs start barking.
TDD

What can he see from 150 ft away, how can she see inside. Try x10.
rile wrote:

I had a customer once who tried to teach me "Quality Control Thinking." One aspect was to ask the question "What then?"
So, your son "checks on the dogs." Well, what then and what is he checking for?
* Use of alcohol after hours? * Neighborhood dogs who have been banned? * TV watching after curfew?
I mean the dogs are either in condition "X" or they are not. What will your son do in either eventuality?
HeyBub wrote:

they supposed to come to the fence and sing out when the lights come on? Unless the dogs learn to associate the light with either something good (a visit and attention from the 2-legged pack alpha, and maybe a late snack) or something bad (a scolding or worse from the pack alpha if they don't shut up when the lights come on), any condition that resulted in the lights coming on isn't likely to change without walking out there.
Animals in pens do self-train. Visited a rural petting zoo behind a veggie stand with the niece and nephew last year, and it was amazing how fast all the animals got into position for the little automated feeding machines, as soon as they heard a car door. The goats climbing over each other to get on top of their little shed where the hopper came down was amazing, and more than a little depressing.
-- aem sends...