remodel without a truck?

Page 2 of 2

I have neigbors that tore a cape cod down to one stick on concrete and replaced it with a full 2 story structure and between having lumber delivered and those cheap rental trucks hey got by with their 2 4door sedans....
Rent the truck or pay for delivery. Simple albeit not as covenient as grocery sopping. Otherwise pay someone else to do the remodel.
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net /
On 03 Jan 2007 17:20:48 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

Or buy a convertible. I can get a 4x8' sheet of plywood in floor of the back seat of my LeBaron with just a little bend.

that's hilarious.
On 4 Jan 2007 14:57:51 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

When I had a full-size convertible, a '65 and then a '67 Pontiac Catalina, I could carry a whole room of furniture in the back seat and on the trunk. Went 3 feet above my head when I was driving.
And twice I put a double bed mattress on the trunk and moved a spinet piano. They should be moved while upright but I only drove about 10mph on the bumps and 25 on the flat spots.
mm wrote:

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a '64 Studebaker Wagonaire as a beater car. That's the car that originated the sliding roof recently re-introduced by GM on the Trailblazer.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Pay for delivery. I own a truck and sometimes paying is easier. Make your list and check it thrice.
Note that inside delivery of drywall incurs an surcharge.
On 3 Jan 2007 13:40:55 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Can your car pull a trailer?
-- Oren
:Can your car pull a trailer?
This is a good point. I think Harbor Freight sells trailers that will fold up and you can store in your garage. I was tempted.
I keep an old compact station wagon for just this kind of thing. It's a hassle to keep up, and I only use it average 2 maybe 3 times a year, but it's great to have it when I need it. One year it looked like it would be expensive to get past the smog test and I started looking for alternatives, including a trailer as mentioned. Turned out I got the smog thing done for less than $100, so I still have the wagon. Brought home a 16' extension ladder with it just the other day on the roof rack.

Bingo. I knew if I read all of these somebody would pick a winner. Just buy a trailer, (couple hundred bucks at Northern or one of the other industrial guys, sell it when you are done or fall on love and keep it. I know a few neighbors who share one. That lets you have a regular car (with a trailer hitch) and move damn near anything. If you are not trying to tow a backhoe or go out on the interstate, you can do it with a pretty small car.

Most cars dont actually have frames anymore, and can only pull about 500 pounds, and not even that if you accelerate fast. The trailer weighs at least 200 usually, so that gives you 300 payload.
I'm probably going to buy a Harbor Freight trailer tonight or tomorrow (but since someone mentioned it, I'll look in the NOrthern catalog.
I'm having it delivered to my borother in Texas where i will assemble it while visiting. My 7 year old nephew can help me. And then I will drive back with some furniture. Unfortunately I have nowhere to keep the trailer and I'll have to sell it after that. It's still cheper than renting a truck or a van, 900 plus airfare one way, versus 200 plus gas an extra one-way. Gas and airfare are about the same, so 700 dollars cheaper and I 'm going to have a 5+5 day sightseeing trip.

Yes, go to your local lumber yard and see if they deliver. Sheetrock is heavy stuff so you want to handle it as little as possible.
I'm curious. How do you know it's under maintained?
--
Steve Barker

On 3 Jan 2007 13:40:55 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Undermaintained or not, the odds are tiny that it will break down in the 75 minutes you have it, and if it does, call them and they'll send another truck, take your materials to your house for you, and they probably will cancel the charge for the truck.
Do you think they will expect you to hitchhike back to the store, rent another truck, and do everything yourself?
Don't go making up problems where there are none.

We had that problem and our VW mechanic was going to scrap a van, so we got it , fixed it up. (an engine) and cut the back off for a very cheap and fun "pick-up" It helped us decide to get a canoe. and we now get our own firewood.
--

Money.. What a concept!

A 4' X 8' utility trailer kit for about $200, $50 to build the deck & sides & buy some straps & misc. tiedowns, and perhaps $50 to $100 to install a hitch and light connector kit on your car.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

company) for 1 day. It will probably be cheaper than $20/hour.
have it delivered so they can weed out all the twisted lumber for the next time I go there to get mine. for $100 I will deliver it to you on my way by.
| We're planning on doing a remodel involving a new wall and hand-built | shower stall with a budget of around $2,000 for materials. The | problem is, that we don't have a truck and I don't want to bother | anyone to borrow theirs for all the drywall, studs and tile we're | buying. | | Is there any solution to this? I've seen that HD will actually rent | out trucks for like $20/hr, but it looks like a hassle and I don't want | to be responsible for their under maintained fleet vehicle, even if | only for an hour. | | Do you see any obvious solution? |