remodel without a truck?

We're planning on doing a remodel involving a new wall and hand-built shower stall with a budget of around $2,000 for materials. The problem is, that we don't have a truck and I don't want to bother anyone to borrow theirs for all the drywall, studs and tile we're buying.

Is there any solution to this? I've seen that HD will actually rent out trucks for like $20/hr, but it looks like a hassle and I don't want to be responsible for their under maintained fleet vehicle, even if only for an hour.

Do you see any obvious solution?

Reply to
kellyj00

I thought HD and Lowes delivered? maybe no more...

You could figure the price differential for going to a regular lumber yard that delivers- 84 lumber, whatever is around. The lumber will be better, as well.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Yes. Either bother someone to borrow their truck or rent the HD under maintained fleet or buy materials from a dealer that delivers.

Reply to
robson

If you're buying the stuff from HD, have them deliver it

Reply to
RBM

Have it delivered? Shouldn't cost much more than renting the truck.

Reply to
Grandpa

You can rent U-Hauls smallest trucks for what....thirty bucks a day? Don't buy their insurance, but check your car policy to see if it covers rental vehicles.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Plan ahead and rent a truck? Budget usually seems to have the best trucks, U-Haul usually has the worst. When I moved I needed to rent a truck with a lift gate to move stuff from several locations to the semi doing the actual move. Budget came through with a big International 4300 with 24' box and lift gate with a couple thousand miles on it i.e. practically new at a good rate. It lined up nicely with the semi for palette jacking stuff between the two.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Avoid U-Haul if at all possible. Their fleet usually is in worse shape than Depot's. Budget usually is reliable and has very new and well maintained trucks.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Maybe, but we don't know how far he has to travel from his home to the store. U-Haul trucks may be in ratty shape, but I don't see many of them on the side of the road.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't see many rental trucks on the side of the road either, but when I do it seems it's usually a U-Haul and one of the van based ones. Can't remember ever seeing one of the Internationals or similar medium duty truck from Budget or Rollins or Penskee or whoever on the side of the road.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

wrote

An obvious result......

Moe

Here's what we did. We remodeled a lot. Three rooms. We did make trips to the dump, as I have a pickup.

BUT, the trashmen picked up a lot of it. You just have to cut it up in small pieces and put it out a little at a time. Being out there when they come with some bottles of water or some cold sodas works wonders, too. One day, we had a bunch of cabinets, and drywall and studs, and they backed the truck into the driveway and took it all.

May or may not work where you live depending on your refuse hauler.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Duh. I was addressing waste. For delivery, just buy from someone who delivers.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks fellas. IIRC, Lowe's does deliver for $50 here.

Re the waste issue... I live in KS where waste laws aren't too bad, so I just drop stuff off in ditches out in the country when I can. kidding.

Actually, I just finished chopping up a couch into trash can sized pieces with an axe, a sawzall and a die grinder a few weekends ago. We actually threw out the kitchen sink last weekend, got a kick out of that. gotta start on a twin sized mattress next.

What it boils down to, as far as waste goes, is that almost everything has salvage value. For example, we replaced all the trim in the house with newer white stuff. Rather than go out and buy shoe molding to match, we took the old 2.5" casing and set the table saw up at 3/4", and ripped out perfect shoe.... now I just gotta paint it.

Find someone who's finishing a basement, they can use all kinds of stuff that you were gonna throw out. A buddy is using my laminate scrap to make a downstairs wet bar, another is using my old kitchen faucet on his bar.... not too mention that they took all of my old light colored flat latex opened gallons to use as primer for their fresh drywall.

Just a little thing we like to do, especially because we're broke. Thank goodness for the Mennonite Housing folks, they put 8 families together and have them build each others 8 houses together, so they're all real good at a few things by the time they finish, then you just gotta track down the fella who did Stairs, for example or Plumbing and they can tell you whatever you need to know, or they'll come by and help you out for a few beers or do the whole job for $20 hour or so.

Reply to
kellyj00

I have neigbors that tore a cape cod down to one stick on concrete and replaced it with a full 2 story structure and between having lumber delivered and those cheap rental trucks hey got by with their 2 4door sedans....

Rent the truck or pay for delivery. Simple albeit not as covenient as grocery sopping. Otherwise pay someone else to do the remodel.

Reply to
Todd H.

Pay for delivery. I own a truck and sometimes paying is easier. Make your list and check it thrice.

Note that inside delivery of drywall incurs an surcharge.

Reply to
Colbyt

Can your car pull a trailer?

-- Oren

Oren

Yes, go to your local lumber yard and see if they deliver. Sheetrock is heavy stuff so you want to handle it as little as possible.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm curious. How do you know it's under maintained?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

:Actually, I just finished chopping up a couch into trash can sized :pieces with an axe, a sawzall and a die grinder a few weekends ago. I tried doing this, but gave up. I do have an axe but no sawzall and what's a die grinder? I tried to disassemble it, but didn't get too far. I called the city, who does a once a year pickup of large items and they wouldn't waive me in spite of the fact I've only called them once. It happened to be in 2006. So, they said I can schedule after the first of the year. As of Monday, I call call them and have them haul away the used-to-be couch on my front porch!

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant