Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?

I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+ years ol d. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an important p roject, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five minute drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the stores would be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane cylinder (~2.75" diameter, 11" long) is about to run out. I could weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next ye ar, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used. Ideas ???

Reply to
hrhofmann

How much is it worth to you not to run out in the middle of a project? I keep a spare tank. Shelf life must be indefinite because after years of sitting I've never had one go bad.

Reply to
Mike

Next time you buy a full cylinder, do you think the store would allow you to weigh a returned empty as well?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

My Master Mechanic torch must be that old too and I either got new tank or it is still near full.

I notice all they give is a tare weight and you would have had to weight it when new to see when near empty.

I also note that the squatter tanks used for my camp stove will fit the torch. They are fairly cheap and I have extra so I need not worry about the torch running out.

Also think if you shake the tank and do not feel liquid squishing around it may be near empty.

Reply to
Frank

I guess I should have asked for POLITE IDEAS. Anyway, I am trying to clean up my workbench and workshop and would rather not have an extra cylinder around unless I will be needing it in the short term.

Reply to
hrhofmann

torch, probably 35+ years old. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an important project, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five minute drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the stores would be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane cylinder (~2.75" diameter, 11" long)is about to run out.

be tomorrow or late next year, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used. Ideas ???

I'd go buy another tank, now. The three bucks you spend, you'll save that much on gasoline, and time. Not having to make a rush run for more. As to the

16 ouncers, empty tank about 12 ounces.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The 14.1 ouncers are sent out with the trash, not returned.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 12:58:16 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net" wrote in Re Re: Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?:

Yeah, people here get irate when someone posts a dumb and poorly formatted question; which is typical for a GG poster. But still it would be nice to see polite replies.

Reply to
VinnyB

Put the propane tank in the freezer for 30 minutes. Pull it out and start scanning the tank from top to bottom with an infrared thermometer. As the tank warms up, you'll notice the temp changes drastically at the liquid level.

If you don't have an infrared thermometer, now you have a reason to go buy one. And for the love of God, get a spare tank of propane while you're at the store. ;=)

Reply to
Emma Genius

I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable grill, the burner will not ignite.

Swap in a different, apparently fuller one (heavier and louder) and the grill works fine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Emma Genius has a great idea. I do have a Harbor Freight infrared scanner and will try her suggestion overnight tonight. Thanks.

Reply to
hrhofmann

+1

Breathe on it. The condensation line will show the level of the liquid inside.

;-)

Reply to
krw

That makes no sense but I gave up on trying to figure out when I needed more gas for my grill and now just keep around an extra filled tank.

Reminds me that I had been grousing about Blue Rhino only selling 4 gal of propane in their 5 gallon tanks. Then, I talked to a guy that had a tank overfilled resulting in a fireball type explosion that nearly killed him. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to
Frank

There are tank level indicators. Examples here:

Dean Hoffman

I always have multiple cylinders around because I have a portable grill, camp stove, a couple of lanterns, torches, etc.

For long camping trips I take a 20 lb tank. I have hoses and a T fitting so I can run my grill and stove off of one tank and never worry about running out.

BJ's fills the 20 lb tanks all the way for a lot cheaper than any trade-in place. However, they charge full price regardless of how much is left in the tank. U-Haul charges only for what they put in the tank, but it usually takes longer to get them filled than at BJ's. They are cheaper than BJ's even for a full tank but there are times when I want to get in and out. BJ's is always much faster.

Uh...yeah...we hear about that sort of thing happening all the time, don't we?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Got any for the 14.1 or 16 oz tanks like the OP is talking about?

He's talking about this...

DerbyDad03

Principle is the same and they should work on any tank. They just show temperature at different levels. But, one of the things I tried and did not work well. The IR thermometer mentioned sounds like a good idea but one would cost probably more than 10 full propane bottles.

Reply to
Frank

That's what I envisioned. Some of the level indicators in the pictures in the link are just like a piece of tape. They change color at the propane level. I suspect the circumference of the tank doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The empty 14.1 oz torch tank weighs about 15 oz (430 grams, actually) so a full tank weighs 830 grams - 400 gramms of it Propane.

Reply to
clare

Tare weight IS the empty weight. They weigh 430 grams empty (tare) and

830 grams full
Reply to
clare