Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?

Page 1 of 3
I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+ years ol d. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an important p roject, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five minute drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the stores would be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane cylinder (~2.75" diameter, 11" long) is about to run out. I could weigh an empty cylinder, but that could be tomorrow or late next ye ar, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used. Ideas ???
On 12/5/2013 3:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

How much is it worth to you not to run out in the middle of a project? I keep a spare tank. Shelf life must be indefinite because after years of sitting I've never had one go bad.
.

Next time you buy a full cylinder, do you think the store would allow you to weigh a returned empty as well?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 12/5/2013 3:46 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:

not returned.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/5/2013 3:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

My Master Mechanic torch must be that old too and I either got new tank or it is still near full.
I notice all they give is a tare weight and you would have had to weight it when new to see when near empty.
I also note that the squatter tanks used for my camp stove will fit the torch. They are fairly cheap and I have extra so I need not worry about the torch running out.
Also think if you shake the tank and do not feel liquid squishing around it may be near empty.

I have a cylinder in my garage at this very moment that I can hear/feel liquid moving around when I shake it, yet when I hook it up to my portable grill, the burner will not ignite.
Swap in a different, apparently fuller one (heavier and louder) and the grill works fine.
On 12/5/2013 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That makes no sense but I gave up on trying to figure out when I needed more gas for my grill and now just keep around an extra filled tank.
Reminds me that I had been grousing about Blue Rhino only selling 4 gal of propane in their 5 gallon tanks. Then, I talked to a guy that had a tank overfilled resulting in a fireball type explosion that nearly killed him. Better safe than sorry.

I always have multiple cylinders around because I have a portable grill, camp stove, a couple of lanterns, torches, etc.
For long camping trips I take a 20 lb tank. I have hoses and a T fitting so I can run my grill and stove off of one tank and never worry about running out.

BJ's fills the 20 lb tanks all the way for a lot cheaper than any trade-in place. However, they charge full price regardless of how much is left in the tank. U-Haul charges only for what they put in the tank, but it usually takes longer to get them filled than at BJ's. They are cheaper than BJ's even for a full tank but there are times when I want to get in and out. BJ's is always much faster.

Uh...yeah...we hear about that sort of thing happening all the time, don't we?
On 12/5/2013 7:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not me. My halogen bulbs already burned down the house. Which killed the alligators coming out of the toilet, and dried up the retaining wall, where I'd put the garden hose to chase off the pocket gophers and green garden snakes (which everyone knows are harmless). Fortunately, on rec puzzles and rec crafts metalworking, they had a "what is it" picture of a fire hydrant wrench, so the responding FD was able to open the hydrant and get water to the fire. They used a 90% efficiency fire truck which was power vented through a crawl space, to pump the water which was fluoridated for cavities. My burglar alarm failed to report the fire, due to the bad power transformer, and the bad board. Sadly, I am homeless because Obama Care cancelled my insurance. Yes, I do have to always criticize Obama.
And they lived sadly ever after. "Hold my beer and watch this, woman!" The end.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/5/2013 3:21 PM, Frank wrote:

I don't have any problem with anybody putting 4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank. I DO have a problem when they charge you what 8 gallons would cost for that 4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank.
On 12/5/2013 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

water, or ....
--
.
Christopher A. Young

How would water get in the cylinder?
On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

1) cheaper than propane, so someone came up with the idea to put some in, and fake out the scales 2) hose left open during the rain storm, and then hooked to the tank; water goes ahead of the LPG 3) evil gremlins theory
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders, not the 20 lb tanks.
Only #3 could possibly apply.
On 12/6/2013 7:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Just for giggles, you may want to tip the cylinder upside down, and open the tank valve. See if a bunch of rusty water comes out. Might not work with OPD that needs a device attached. Put your 16 ounce refil adaptor on, to fake out the thread valve.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

At the risk of repeating myself....
Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders, not the 20 lb tanks.
On 12/6/2013 4:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

your grill, which didn't ignite? Really?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Really.
Actually, it was a 16.4 oz. You'll note that I said portable grill.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/72/86/49/73/0072864973184_500X500.jpg
On 12/6/2013 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

gas grill, I think of the pedestal type, with the twenty pounder. Thanks for correcting the oops, and clearing that up.
Those table top grills sure can be wonderful. Take them on picnics. And thy can be used to cook when the electric is off, and the electric range is cold. Not recommended to use indoors for heat, but when things are desperate. I do remember a friend who had a winter power cut, and used that and several other propane devices to fight the cold.
How water would get into one of them tanks? Only if done at the factory. The other thing, is that when the tank is cold (such as being outdoors these days) the temperature and pressure in the tank fall. If you warm the tank a bit, the pressure may come back to normal. I've had that happen when I was trying to warm a camp building in the winter, while doing some rewiring.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Set most of them on a picnic table and they light the table on fire. The vast majority are cheap Chinese crap with no certification - and are useless at best, and dangerous in many cases.

Perhaps water could get in if someone was refilling them with REALLY crappy adapters that were left out in the rain.