refrigerator water dispenser leaking

What could be the problem with a water dispenser leaking? The refrigerator is a GE Profile Artica side by side purchased new 8 years ago. When I say, leak, I'm talking about a serious leak. It started a few days ago, I got up one morning and there was a puddle of water in the floor. Things I've already done are, took off the panel and got everything that could come off, off....tried turning off the water to the fridge, still leaked, emptied the water reservoir...still leaked. but not as bad. I left it that way for a couple of days, then took out the water filter and replaced it with the plug that came with it, took it all apart again, cleaned everything that could be cleaned, put it all back together and the leak slowed almost to a stop, it took 12 hours to get an inch of water in the 16 oz. glass that I placed there to catch the drip. That was 2 days ago, then this morning, I got up and found the 16 oz. glass was about to spill over! When it is set to 'water', I can hear the switch click on and then off when I push on the dispensing cradle. It doesn't make any difference in the leak if I switch the control to ice, crushed or cubed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

My guess is the valve is not shutting off properly. Either a gasket is worn or a piece of junk got stuck in there preventing proper closing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks, Ed. Where would I find this valve? This is a diagram of the Sealed System and Motherboard and is the only thing I found when I searched for 'water valve' on the model # of my refrigerator. It's part #800. Part # 796 also showed up, but is no longer available. My GE Profile Artica refrigerator model # is PSS25SGMD

It's so nice to get help so quickly on here. Thank you, Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

I'm not sure from the diagram. I'd be looking for a vale like this one

Just like a sink faucet will develop a leak over time, your water valve on the fridge may have too. If there is something stuck in there, running a lot of water may flush it out. If it turns out to be grit or sand from your water, consider adding a whole house sediment filter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

WW

Thanks for your help Ed, I found the part and also found installation instructions from other DIYers on another parts site. I'm confident I can do this! I'll let you know how it goes and if that fixed my problem.

Thanks so much for your help. Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

Thanks, WW. Your info was very helpful and I found where the valve is and it looks pretty simple to replace. I'll let you know the ending...

Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

I'm not Ed, but water valves are in the back, near the floor. They are connected to the water supply tubing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You don't have to be named "Ed" to help me...;) I appreciate all the help I've received from all the knowledgeable posters on here. This is a great 'go to' place for really good answers to problems. This is a very smart group of folks!

Thanks, Stormin

Gloria

Reply to
Gloria