Refrigerator not working again

Page 7 of 13
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:50:22 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

No idea. Find it yourself if it irks you.

Some Jew guy from the attribute.
A sentiment I agree with 100% btw.
Gunner

Absolutely.... same here in south Mississippi. BTW, I do recommend spending the $400 for a Seiko divers watch. They last me 15 years or so, anything less will be junk in 1 - 3 months.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No. I started early in the day, when it wasn't too bad out. I had the cooler I carried when I spent the day at a flea market, which included the refilled two liter bottles that were kept in my freezer. There was also a 10 pound bag of ice and a two liter bottle of Diet Mt. Dew. I drank all ow them, and used my tee shirt in the ice water to lower my body temperature. By the time I had finished and driven home, i was still hot, but not sweating.
enough left over to pay them.
Ouch, that's a lot of water. And fluids. After chugging two liters of mean green caffeine, know what I mean, bet that affected the rest of your day?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That was gone in the first hour. I was out there for more than eight hours.
enough left over to pay them.
I'd hate to think what would happen to a tech who drank only Mt. Dew. That could make for a poor night sleep.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually, I have always slept better when I drank caffeinated drinks. I went two years with no caffeine, and was miserable. I can go right to sleep after drinking an eight ounce glass. It also helps reduce the swelling in my legs if I drink it not log before going to bed. It does more for me than the daily tablet of HCTZ. My body chemistry has been screwed up my entire life. I saw my VA doctor on friday. My sodium & potassium leaves are both a little low, even though I take supplemental potassium, and use more than five times the recommended level of sodium. If I reduce either I get muscle spasms, and a lot of pressure sores.
enough left over to pay them.
On 9/25/2010 4:17 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I was working out in The Marshall Islands when I had the first kidney stone to put me in the hospital. I had been working inside a hot building that we were remodeling for the missile range when I got nauseated and felt like I had a bad gas pain. It wouldn't stop so I hopped on my bike and peddled to the island hospital where a dye injection and X-ray confirmed a kidney stone. I've had several more, two I passed on my own and another in a hospital. I drink lots and lots of water now and haven't had another in a dozen years. I only wish kidney stones on really mean and nasty people, not your typical mild asshole, it's too cruel. 8-)
TDD
New product line: Full body Depends for HVAC techs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

EMI split units are notorious for bad electronics and quirky on again, off again failure modes.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

The only HVAC PC boards I've seen lately are all over eight years old, but the electronics industry, in general has moved from through hole to SMD to reduce assembly & component costs.
enough left over to pay them.

I do more repair than new installation and there are scads of universal replacement controls at the supply houses that are a mix of technologies. The board may look very similar to the OEM board but will have parts moved around with surface mount devices peeking out from between the caps and relays. I'm getting to the point where I can't see too well anymore so the through the hole stuff is a lot easier for me to fix. I got tickled when somebody gave me a dead motherboard for a computer system and the only problem was a blown fuse and PPTC that were the size of a half grain of rice. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Keep your eyes open for a good stereo microscope. I preferred the B&L I had on my bench at Microdyne. Also, I liked the 'Multicore .015" rework solder. Surface mount isn't going away for small parts. A look at the Digikey or Mouser catalogs over the years will show that the availability of leaded parts is dropping every year. The same, with components using real solder without tin whisker problems.
enough left over to pay them.

I just fixed a ViewSonic LCD monitor for a customer's POS system and it turned out to be a common problem with a 16 volt 1000 uf cap on the power supply board. Looking closely at the board, I saw another pair of holes for a parallel electrolytic. I soldered in two 470 uf 35 volt caps in place of the original single since they fit the space. The customer has had damage to various electronic gear due to power surges and I've had to replace the KSU for his phone system when the POTS line ports were blown. I don't understand why designers will take such a cheap route when they know there's a possibility for a piece of equipment to be subjected to aberrant voltages in the power source for many of the end users. I remember how the original IBM PC's were built like tanks and you paid a price for that robustness but now so much of the electronics we get these days is a commodity item and the penny pinching paper pushers (hey, I made a rhyme) want engineers to spit out products as cheaply as possible. It's amazing how just a few more dollars spent on an electrical/electronic item will extend the life of that product.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Were they low ESR 105 C or 125 C parts?

Add some Endeco protection to the incoming lines. The do an amazing job. I have nothing to do with that company, other than the dfact that some freinds of mine bought their old factory and moved into it a few months ago.

It's commony reffered to as 'The race to the bottom', since people are price driven.
enough left over to pay them.

They were probably 105 standard aluminum electrolytic consumer grade. I just wanted to install a higher voltage rated part.

On the AT&T termination, there are usually gas tube arresters in commercial buildings. There are two different types commonly out in the field. I often add an additional protector with a solid state unit in front of the phone systems. The carrier will accept either the gas tube or Silicon Avalanche Hybrid modules. If I have to, I add fuse modules in place of shorting clips on the 66 blocks for systems that get hit often. It's not unusual for me to have to argue with the phone company that the a module is blown at their central office. They have to send a tech out to check it on my end. I once called customer service to complain about a longitudinal imbalance on my line because a sewer crew had hit the buried cable to my building and the fools just wrapped tape around it and tossed it back in the trench. The CSR said "Sir, we can't get involved in your personal affairs." I said "You don't understand, my phone line was damaged by a BACKHOE, that's a big digging machine, not a woman."

Heck, I'd like to have more than one quality choice. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You have to be careful if they are low ESR parts. Higher voltage caps have a higher ESR.

Endeco makes the plug in protectors, as well as wall mount. I think they also made a 66 block with built in protection back in the late '80s.

I had a radio station with problems with live call in. On line was over 20 dB lower in level, and they tried to tell me that was normal. The switching center was directly across the street. Less than 150 feet of wire, and they expeccted me to fall for their BS. It turned out to be a bad card in their switchgear.

I had a direct hit on a building. It arced to a telephone cable that ran two miles to the main road. It blew out the SLIC at that point, and vaporized most of the copper in that pair, all the way to the CO, where it took out another card.

No kidding! :(
enough left over to pay them.
Steve wrote:

That, plus the Yellow Pages are so quaint...
Do you have a web site? (The new Yellow Pages)
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 04:19:27 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I remember TV repairmen, and the most prominent memory, other than that tube caddy and their genial personalities, was the B.O.
Thanks, Rich

no... he's a "refrigeration professional", and doesn't want anyone to figure out the four or five pages of knowlege that constitutes his "professional advantage" over ordinary laymen.
LLoyd