refrig ice maker quit working

Page 1 of 2
We had some work done on our kitchen and the refrigerator ice maker was disconnected for a few weeks. The refrigerator was still working otherwise. Now, after hooking the water back up, it isn't making ice. There is definitely water going to the tube, but no water in the ice tray.
I've tried blowing on the tube to see if I could unclog it, but I couldn't.
I checked all of the buttons and settings - they are OK. I also checked the cutoff arm.
I have an air compressor that I was going to use on the tube, but it has a connection for tires only, so it won't fit the tube.
Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I had problem after leaving it sit unconnected. My controller is in the ice maker. If the controller is cycling, the valve should cycle. Valve could be stuck, or controller not working. Still not working. Here. I could monitor voltage to valve.
Greg

the water valve is likely bad you can check for voltage at the valve sometimes a icemaker kit is cheaper than buying the parts.....
what happens with the ice maker water supply disconnected, and the ice maker left on, it calls constantky for water and damages the water valve solenoid

:-( I don't think we turned off the ice maker while the water was disconnected.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 22:16:02 -0400, Jan Philips

It was that way about 2 days.

If you move the lever that senses the levelof the ice, can you hear any clicking or sounds that sound like a valve opening and closing. If dead silence, either the switch or the valve is most likely gone west.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:43:01 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Yes, I hear clicking. This happened while the water was disconnected but the unit was still running, and the button to make ice was still on for a couple of days.
Totally needs more diagnostic workup.
the water valve is likely bad you can check for voltage at the valve sometimes a icemaker kit is cheaper than buying the parts.....
what happens with the ice maker water supply disconnected, and the ice maker left on, it calls constantky for water and damages the water valve solenoid
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:31:44 -0400, Jan Philips

My guess is that while you had it disconnected but with the refrig still running, the water froze in a part of the water line that it usually doesn't sit in long enough to freeze. I'd turn the fridge off for as long as you think you can without losing your frozen stuff and seeing if that "fixes" it.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

I agree. We had the problem, let the freezing compartment thaw, refroze, all was well.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

For my understanding, doesn't the water just sit in the line anyway? What keeps it from freezing if you don't use the ice cubes for a couple of days??

Couldn't tell you for sure but my guess is that when the ice maker is cyclying to make ice it opens a valve, closes it after it gets the water.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
For my understanding, doesn't the water just sit in the line anyway? What keeps it from freezing if you don't use the ice cubes for a couple of days??
Take the cover off and bang the shit out of it. It worked for me. :)
Ah, the Redneck WWF approach.
Take the cover off and bang the shit out of it. It worked for me. :)
well if you really want to explore this failure..........
the solenoid valve is likely 120 volts, so unplug tthe solenoid valve, and use clipsto apply power line vlotage to the solenoid, with the out side of the valve disconnected....
if you dont have a stream of water flying across the room the valve is bad.......
note ohm meter readings are useless

That is beyond what I can do.

replace the ice maker, or call a service tech..

That is definitely a possibility. I can't blow through the tube, and I would expect to be able to if it isn't stopped up.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:31:44 -0400, Jan Philips

Could you blow into it, or were you prevented from exhaling?

Wrap tape around it and then your hand.