Reducing PVC waste pipe noise

Greetings All, Is there a product that will minimize the noise from 2" PVC waste piping that runs overhead through the ceiling? Since all of the walls and ceilings are opened up and almost ready to be drywalled, this is the time for some sound insulation/isolation. Can anything be wrapped around the pipes, or is the sound deadened by filling up the stud/joist bays with a product? Thanks in advance, Mark L.

Reply to
Mark L.

Insulation around it would be quite effective. Thicker the better.

However, you may find that wallboard alone may quiet it up quite a bit itself, but there's no harm in wrapping it with additional goodies if the cost/time isn't a worry.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Cast Iron Pipe would be most effective in killing noise. Due to it's mass. Put together with no hub couplings (no hub pipe). You would probably need a competent plumber, most "plumbers" can't handle anything past a hack saw and a can of glue -in my area-.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Agreed that cast iron is the way to go. Insulation will help but not too much. The denser the insulation, the better. Closed cell foam insulation would be best insulation choice. Other sound blocking technicques, like lead, would be more expensive than replacing with cast iron.

Reply to
No

Cast Iron as motioned ( Some cast is labeled the quiet one) If you go that route the only tool you need is a snap cutter, Nut driver to fit the no hub bands. Pipe must be supported 12 to 16 inches on each end. But if the piping is done your best bet is to wrap with insulation. They also make a fiberglass insulation for pipe (Kind of like that foam type) It's made for any size pipe, Comes in deferent wall sizes. You would probably have to phone an insulation contractor to find it. If any of the pipe is laying on joist or rafters try to isolate it from the wood put a piece or thick weather stripping under it, your trying to minimize the wood from amplifying the sound of water running through pipes. What is the waste pipe for ? Is it a second floor ? If it's a shower or tube try to stuff insulation under it and around it. That made a big dereference in noise in my house. Is the pipe drilled threw the joist?

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

"You would probably need a competent plumber, most "plumbers" can't handle anything past a hack saw and a can of glue -in my area " That's why the plumb houses with garden hose now, I thing they have a fantasy name for it now. Hose is Hose Pipe is Pipe you can sugar coated anyway you want but that's the fact.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I tried to get rid of water noise from the hose bib near my bathroom. Since I had the wall open I insulated the wall and the pipe with that foam covering. Ok the sound is less but not worth the expense. I thought that the 3.5 inches of insulation in the wall would quiet it down a lot. NOPE.

In your situation I would try some insulation on all of the surfaces around the pipe Not the pipe itself. WAG from someone who is not good at this.

Reply to
SQLit

Make sure the pipe is not firmly secured to the wall studs. Use a felt or balled up insulation pad to buffer the pipe from the solid structure of the wall framing. Use plastic isolation hangers (flying A holes) instead of metal or plastic plumbers tape for securing the pipe. Same treatment for supply pipes.

If not the sound will transmit from the pipe to the wall like a diaphram. I always insulate interior walls during remodels mostly for sound deadning and usually costs less than $100 per room.

Reply to
PipeDown

Car stereo people use an adhesive backed insulating sheet called Dynamat to dampen noise. I've wondered how well that might work if wrapped around a PVC drain pipe.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Care stereo folks use dynamat because it's well marketed, and thin enough to do a little something in teh space they have. Typically you have a lot more room to work with in your house vs a mobile installation, so it's a fair thought that you might get more bang for the buck with other materials.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.