PVC waste pipe leak

I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in a wall in the kitchen. Without opening the wall, my guess is that the screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put where it shouldn't have been. Is there an easy way to repair a hole (#8 screw, perhaps) in PVC pipe? If this is the issue, a small hole and a repair isn't going to be a real big deal. If I have to cut a section of pipe out and fit new it may be. The pipe goes into the concrete slab about

2' below where I think the leak is. Thanks.
Reply to
krw

If you don't want any protrusions in the drain line from a screw, you can remove the screw, cut out a segment of PVC from a new fitting to match the outer radius of the pipe, and glue it on with standard PVC glue after priming it.

Reply to
mike

And if it ends up being a joint leak due to improper installation, you can try this:

mike

If indeed a screw did penetrate the pipe, it should not leak. I understand if you removed the screw then it would leak. But if you can gain access, just plug the hole with epoxy or pvc glue. But you wont know whats going on unless you remove the sheetrock.

Is this the main stack coming down? How big is the pipe?

Reply to
Mikepier

Thanks, that's sorta what I was thinking about doing. I just wanted to get other's ideas before I open the wall. The wall in question is between the refrigerator and a pantry (a closet, really) so I can open either side of the wall.

Damned builders

Reply to
krw

If you are sure it is the screw...

Remove the offending screw and go to either Wendy's or McDonalds for lunch, not Burger King. Get an extra straw.

Enjoy your trans-fat laden lunch.

Drill a 1/4 hole in the wall where the screw used to be

Cut a sliver off of the tip of you tube of caulk

Put your extra straw over the end of the caulk and insert the straw throught the hole in the wall until you touch the pipe with it

Squeeze your caulk through the straw and onto the pipe (hold the straw tightly it will want to come of the caulking tip)

Put a little more caulk in the hole in the drywall on your way out and smooth it over

When the caulk dries hit the hole with a light coat of spackle

DONE! (Burger King straws are a smaller diameter and won't fit over the tip of the caulk tube)

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Not so fast. A screw driven in with a drill could easily spin enough to strip out material and allow for a leak. And PVC has been known to crack from getting fairly minor, but unlucky, hits. A screw driving thru some wood might push enough force on the screw tip to start a small crack.

Some exploration is in order.

Reply to
mike

Not positive it's the screw, but the water stain can be seen running from that screw down when water is run in that bathroom.

No thanks.

Silicone caulk is strong enough to seal the pipe? I know there is "no" pressure in the waste pipe, but...

You forgot the part about relocating the screw. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Good idea, thanks. I don't *think* it's a joint leak, but it could be. Water will find weird ways out.

Reply to
krw

One of them. It's a new house, so I assume it's a 4" stack. I'll open it up this weekend, perhaps. We don't use that bathroom (so never noticed the leak) but the kid and DIL are coming to visit next weekend, so...

Reply to
krw

I repositioned some nozzels on my irrigation system 3 or 4 years ago and plugged the old holes with a little epoxy. Ithink the sun may ruin the pvc before the epoxy lets go.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I repositioned some nozzels on my irrigation system 3 or 4 years ago and plugged the old holes with a little epoxy. Ithink the sun may ruin the pvc before the epoxy lets go.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Keep the wall damage minimum (smaller patch). The link here shows a simple hose clamp and rubber. * I would try stainless hose clamps and rubber, depending on what you see in the wall.

The builder had to come back and fix a stack years ago. Every Monday morning the downstairs carpet would be soggy wet at one corner. There was a pattern - SWMBO bathed on Sunday night and tub drained from the second floor.

A rubber sleeve / clamp connection was not installed properly so water leaked out the sleeve. Locating the pipe caused numerous wall repairs. The builder did a wonderful job.

Please post back what you find and your solution. Folks like to hear about them.

Oren

If it's really just a screw hole, dab a little pvc cement (even that partially dried old can) onto the hole. Let it dry. If any hole remains, dab a little more on. Repeat as necessary.

My father had a leak in the drain pipe in the basement under his kitchen sink. When I found the drywall nail through the pipe under the sink, I thought we had it. Turned out, every section of pipe down to the basement floor had a split down it. Best guess - someone drive over a length of pipe lengthwise, then used it to plumb the house. Who knows??

Reply to
Bob F

Not that I agree with your method, but why do you need to buy lunch? Just walk in, grab a straw from the straw dispenser, and walk out.

Reply to
willshak

coat the screw with silicone and reinstall it. done.

Reply to
Steve Barker

dont know if you fixed it yet but i repaired a pvc waste pipe that was leaking at one of the glue joints with elmers epoxy glue, the bottle has a blue bull on it. it dries hard as a rock never cracked or leaked.. been 2 and half years now.

Reply to
auggie

I've repaired a leaky DVW pipe with a couple coats of PVC glue - it "solvent welds" the crack closed just like assembling fittings.

Reply to
clare