Redneck coffee grinder

Page 1 of 3
Low on funds, and want a redneck coffee grinder in that there must be a tool in shop which grinds coffee beans (small amounts at a time) without having to resort to the overly expensive weak-assed motors in the consumer brands like Gaggia.
Any idea what toolbox tool we already have that grinds coffee well?
Henry Jones wrote:

A hammer? Maybe put your coffee beans in a bag first. Good luck! : )
On 7/4/2016 1:59 PM, Henry Jones wrote:

why not get the coffee grinder you feel does the job, and find some additional use for it out in the shop?
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:58:53 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Make an attachment for your 1/2" router. That should have enough power for you.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Or he/she could buy this one on ebay for 10 bucks delivered ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Coffee-Grinder-High-Quality-Conical-Burr-Bean-Espresso-Mill-New-/322178782554
--
Snag

Per Terry Coombs:

Call me lazy, but I find that grinding by hand gets *really* old *really* fast if you are doing more than a cup or so.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 9:42:12 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Similar situation re: too much work/being lazy.
We recently tried a couple of different coffee makers that grind the coffee just prior to brewing it. One was fairly fancy, with customizable grind settings, brew strength options, etc. The other was more basic - just grind and brew.
Both machines had one thing in common: they required extensive cleaning after each use. The basket for the grounds has too many nooks and crannies to allow for a quick dump of the filter/grounds into the garbage. You have to rinse it with a sprayer from multiple directions, then spray the grounds out of the sink, etc. That doesn't include the nooks/crannies/chutes within the machine itself where grounds can get stuck. The higher end machine had 3 different pieces that had to be removed in order to perform a proper cleaning.
We went back to grinding a few days worth with a counter top electric grinder and keeping the grounds in a sealed container. Sure, the grinding does require some cleanup, but it's once every few days as part of the grinding process, not the PITA clean-up that the other machines required every day, sometimes twice a day.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm using a B&D electric burr grinder that's like 10 years or so old , a 10 second grind makes a 5 cup pot just the way I like it . When we were cooking in the camper I'd grind enough for a couple of weeks at a time - didn't want to wake the wife every morning . There's very little cleanup involved with this unit . The OP wanted a cheap solution , I gave one ...
--
Snag

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:03:15 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Is your B&D grinder built into the coffee maker or it is a separate unit?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Separate unit like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-And-Decker-Burr-Coffee-Grinder-Model-CBM210-Stainless-Black-/142043659831
--
Snag

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 12:03:12 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

I'm not familiar with a "Burr Grinder", but I'm all for the kind of tool that does multiple jobs, especially since motors in kitchen appliances are downright scrawny, while our toolbox contains beefy motors.
Is this the shop tool you use?
http://assets.jewson.co.uk/category-images/9624/Main/9624.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41eUOko1lhL._SX450_.jpg
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/7202-3126156.jpg
What type of disc do you buy at Home Depot for that shop grinder?
Henry Jones wrote:

Check the link in the reply I made to DerbyDad . And quit being an ass , I was clearly NOT talking about a shop tool .
--
Snag

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 12:57:41 -0500, Henry Jones wrote:

Nice pix. 'Grinder Guard' poll:
1) I leave the guard on at all times. 2) I take it off when I use the grinder, but put it back on after. 3) I leave it in the grinder toolbox with all the worn down disks. 4) I've lost my guard.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 7/5/2016 10:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I splurged for my wife a few years ago. Baratza Virtuoso. I clean it out once a year but does not really need it. . From the grinder it goes into the Technivorm Mocca master.
Rather than try to repurpose an existing tool it is smarter to buy a cheap grinder for $15 or less.
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 20:59:00 +0000 (UTC), Henry Jones

Blender

Sure. I keep a blender in my toolbox at all times! (who is this bozo?)
Hammer!
nb
On 2016-07-04 6:20 PM, notbob wrote:

Paint paddle on a cordless, Nope. Cement mixing drum, Nope. A file of some description, Nope. Festool Coffee Grinder, that does not exist yet.
--
Froz....

On 07/04/2016 04:59 PM, Henry Jones wrote:

One of the most important traits of an excellent coffee bean grinder is that it outputs a uniform particle size. For that, you'll need a conical burr machine.
https://smile.amazon.com/Baratza-Virtuoso-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00LW8I45C
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 18:43:54 -0400, Walker wrote:

Maybe a drill using a conical drill bit with a metal funnel as the container?
Conical drill bit:
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/stepless-drill-bits.jpg
Steel funnel:
http://3.imimg.com/data3/IN/FJ/MY-2800799/funnels-250x250.jpg
Does it sound like it would work?
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:44:37 PM UTC-4, Walker wrote:

I agree, but when you're looking to sub a shop tool, that criteria probably went out the window.