Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

Page 3 of 3
RickH wrote:

I imagine there are a few with battery backups, but you would have to look around. Try an Internet search. It can find things for you.
Cell phone is one option. Second option is to have a real land-line telephone that plugs directly into the jack. You can keep this phone hidden and out of site when you have power. They also come in handy when your telephone service goes bad and you want to determine if it is an outside or inside problem by plugging the real land-line telephone into the network interface box.

You're awfully eager for some level of government to interfere in a private transaction.
Man up and get an old phone. In a pinch, the handset can be used to inflict blunt-force trauma on an intruder.
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I agree. Garage sale season is starting, there should still be a few real Ma Bell phones floating around out there. Personally, I hate cordless phones, and would never pay money for one. I have enough vintage phones in a crate downstairs to last longer than I will, so no way will I buy something that will last 5 years if I am lucky. I have a real phone in every room but the can.
-- aem sends...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:25:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

Now that is a woman I could like. You go girl.

How often do you have power failures? Is the convenience of not having a cord all that important during a power failure? Get a cheap corded phone and only install it when needed. Baring that, get a UPS.
I use phone service from the cable company and am switching to VOIP. Neither will work during any power failure. During a power failure, I have my cell phone.
re.com> wrote:

Sure they will, just put your cable modem and whatever equipment is provided for the VOIP onto a UPS. I don't have phone service at all but I do leave my cable modem on a UPS, saves me having to wait 2-3 minutes to reconnect when the power momentarily drops out while I'm web surfing. (my puter is a laptop, SWMBO's is also on a UPS.)
If I *had* another UPS I would put it on my cable box so that it wouldn't have to re-download the whole program guide after a momentary power failure, but I a) don't have one and b) don't care enough about TV to spend money on one.
Apropos of this thread, I did have a short power failure around 7:15 this AM, so I'm getting a kick, yadda yadda yadda.
nate

From my experience the cable (Comcast) goes out when the power goes out and if it is storm related the cable is the last thing to be restored. TV may take a day or two, data has been more like a week. I run a web site hat updates once a minute so I know how often the cable modem is out, even on a sunny day. That is why I got rid of my cable modem... ... I have never lost POTS service in a hurricane and my Western Electric phones will be OK after the nuclear holocaust. DSL failures are very seldom and of very short durations, based on my logs.
On Apr 30, 12:13pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have Cox cable and it definitely stays up while the power is out, as I have successfully checked my email during power failures before.
My last place I was lucky if the POTS worked on a bright sunny day, forget about bad weather. Hence my lack of POTS at my current place (same company, V*****n.)
nate

My guess is your phone company never upgraded their "plant". When Sprint bought up the little mom and pop telco (United Tel) here they buried fiber to the curb of every home. I have a fiber hub in my front yard and buried copper to the house. It never seems to fail.
On Apr 30, 11:13am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My Comcast neighborhood infrastructure is their latest version, they updated the whole town last month, Internet speed is tripled over the already fast previous speed. We all have business class speed now. I also verified that I have phone service during a power outage, several times, by actually experiencing it, the line stays up. All these crazy posts for a simple question about a phone recommendation are ridiculous. So what if I want a cordless land-line phone to work during a power outage? IMO thats not asking much. I HAVE a wired phone, but I want to replace my cordless units with something with this simple feature, sheesh.
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:40:31 -0700 (PDT), RickH

It is wise to have a wired phone for emergencies. No batteries needed.

No cordless phones are battery-powered because cell phones have the same function and are nowadays sufficiently common (and cell phone towers have backup power supplies, i.e. are not solely dependent on the local electric grid.) Where power outages are frequent, locals hereabouts prefer wired phones.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Phisherman wrote:

I'll get my phone turned on as soon as Verizon's montly cost for land line services is less than that of my cell phone, and I have some assurance that it'll ever work.
Until then, I'll take my chances. I can always charge the cell phone in the car.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel