Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

Page 2 of 3

My wife "has to have" a cordless phones. I do have a wired phone in the basement. I just thought since I have to replace my old cordless phones anyway I'd get something that will work for 911 in a power outage. I dont really care about electronic features, just if it continues to work without power.
<snip>

I have an older Vtech that has a battery in the base unit. The main problem is that it only last about 3 or 4 hours. I just have the base unit plugged into the UPS that supports my computers. The UPS will last a long time if I turn the computers off. If you need one that will work longer than that, you can use a deep cycle battery with an inverter, or just get a generator.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Then let your wife find what she "has to have"

What good is a wired phone if the cable co's modem goes dead when the power goes out?
A cell phone and a car charger is my backup.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Traditional phone companies have lots of battery and often a generator so a POTS line will stay up for a long time. So a wired phone is a good choice because no local power is needed.

You might want to read my response further back in this thread about depending on a cellphone for emergencies.

A wired phone is only as good as what it is wired to...in my case it's a cable modem so it won't do me any good if there is no power. I do have one, and it has helped me determine if my cordless phone set is the problem or if it's the cable co's equipment - once it was mine, and once it was theirs. So mine comes in handy when there *is* power, but won't help if the power goes out.
I do have 12V power supplies and inverters, so I could get the modem up and running, but I'm not sure how far back into the cable co's system power would be needed for me to be able to use the phone. I guess a local outage wouldn't be a problem, but if it was widespread, I assume that whatever the modem talks to would be down also.

I read it. I'm with VZW, so that's a little comforting.
I live about a block from the local fire house, so I'll drag my damaged butt over there if I can't reach 911. <g>

As far as I know, if you have telephone over cable and the power goes down, you're screwed until the power is restored. The same goes for cell phones (at least in this area) no power, no cell phone. A standard old fashioned wired phone connected to the telephone company over telephone lines will still operate normally during a power failure.
Worn Out Retread wrote:

One of many reasons I still keep a copper phone line, even though I'd probably save a few bucks a month with one of those combo deals. My TV, phone, and (3rd party) DSL all come in on separate pipes. TV is satt dish, with roof antenna as backup, because it was 2/3 the cost of cable around here. DSL is on the second pair, since it ain't from Ma Bell. Dial tone is the cheapest POTS they still sell around here. I have had dialtone with no DSL, DSL with no dialtone, and of course the satt service does whatever it wants depending on weather and wind, and how leafy neighbor's tree gets. Plus, of course, the 8-buck-per-month prepaid toy cell phone, which is mainly for traveling, and I use maybe 40 minutes a year.
-- aem sends...
On Sat, 2 May 2009 09:52:13 -0400, "Worn Out Retread"

Power went out for several days here last September (because of hurricane Ike). A neighbor down the street has cable phone (Suddenlink, used to be Cox). That adapter has a backup battery that was good for all that time, but the phone didn't work after 4 hours (4 hours into the power outage) because the batteries at the cable node ran out. It was 28 hours more before the cable company put a generator on the node.
The standard landline phone (Verizon) I have kept working all that time.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
RickH wrote:

I've got an old plug in phone for use when power goes out. I suspect my computers back up batteries could also handle. Cheapest APC units could probably handle a phone for many hours. Big power outage, I start my generator.
As other poster pointed out, phone and cable companies have back-up generators also. One of my EPA friends was looking into these mobile pollution sources ;)
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:40:31 -0700 (PDT), RickH

Something like this might be available for other brands:
http://www.zalmar.com/detail-Communications-Cordless_Phones-KX_TCA200.htm
I had both Sony and Vtech phones 10+ years ago that had a slot in the base to charge an extra battery, primarily for use in the handset, but it also served as a backup for the base station. I don't know if any current models have such a slot -- a combination of better battery life and cheap multi-handset packages (just pick up the other one when the first dies). And even if it's there, you'd have to check whether it provides backup power for the base station.
Josh

Why does it have to be cordless? You can have one $10 corded phone in the basement that rarely gets used, but will work when the power goes out.
RickH wrote:

A little work with Google found this model that claims "battery backup for power failure"
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
RickH wrote:

why is this so important? Just go to the wired phone if you MUST yak in the dark.

A lot of cordless base have a plug in for a wired phone. Once I had one that you could plug a battery into but thought that was a little silly.
Jimmie
RickH wrote:

Get a UPS. A decent sized one should be able to run a phone setup for days since they are made to power computer systems.
Lou

Of more concern to me is that there doesn't seem to be any commercially available alarm clock that works when the power is out. Battery powered alarm clocks don't seem to have a loud enough alarm to reliably get the job done, and most (all?) AC powered ones only back up the timekeeping function with AC power loss, they won't actually set off the alarm.
I do have a gas water heater, so so long as I actually wake up in the morning, I can get ready for work without AC power...
nate

Oh yee of little faith, see http://cgi.ebay.com/Wind-up-alarm-clock-vintage-Shaw-smiley-face-USA-made_W0QQitemZ230287655494QQcmdZViewItem

You might want to try it -- All of the cheapo clocks I've had will sound the alarm at the designated time if the power's out and it was set beforehand. The display is usually dark, but it will sound. My current cheap clock radio actually shows the time (without backlight) and lets me turn the radio on/off on battery only, but not all do that.

Or just get one of these - no power required; http://cnn.cn/shop/fashioned-style-alarm-clock-green-p-3773.html