recoil mechanism for mower won't recoil right

I have an older snapper riding mower which, thank goodness, has a pull cord backup stater for its 8hp B/Stratton engine. The problem is that now the cord either will not retract, or if it does, the nylon rope comes loose from the piece it winds around and makes a god awful squealing sound as it is spun 'inside' the cowling.

Its the other end of the rope that comes loose, not the end you pull on. It comes out about 3 inches.

I've taken the cowling off and rewound it a couple times but it keeps recurring. Can I recoil the spring inside this thing? I hate to take it to the shop if its something I can do.

Thanks

Brian

Reply to
usethisone2007

Sure. You can rebuild/rewind the recoil mechanism.

Take off the cover and other bits 'till you get down to the serious business part (careful! things will fall out). Inside the apparatus you should see four small metal balls (~3/8" diameter), one in each compass direction. Study will show how this business works, the balls move about 1/2" to re-engage the locking mechanism.

The problem is that the balls and/or the tracks they move in are dirty. Clean out all the junk and lightly oil the balls.

Reply to
HeyBub