Recharging car battery

Page 2 of 6
On 6/30/2014 9:57 AM, rbowman wrote:

that's a good reminder to 1) ring bells, ask a neighbor for a jump, 2) call tow service. I'd think she can remember 3) get out the charger and extension cords.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Years ago, when I got to work I noticed another car in the parking lot with its lights on. I called our security office to have them locate and notify the owner. One of my coworkers overheard, and said that he *never* tells anyone they left their lights on. Says he's being more helpful that way. How do you figure that, I asked him. He asked me "Did you ever leave your lights on, and come back to a car with a dead battery?" Well, yes, of course, but -- "Did you ever do it again?"
I guess some people don't learn as quickly as others.

they should make a battery charger with a built in coffee maker to save you the trip back to the kitchen while you wait.
Have relay installed to turn lights off when ignition is off
REPLACE the existing battery its been damaged by deep discharge, espically repeated deep discharges!
I replce my vehicle batteries every 3 years and buy only premium batteries.
since doing this alternator replacements are very unusual. The added work of charging batteries in poor condition and deep discharges! damages alternators
The cost of replacement every 3 years is actually pretty low, plus I give the still OK replaced batteries to a buddy with a 12 volt windmill system
On Monday, June 30, 2014 10:35:12 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

I think that's a little extreme. She hasn't said how many times she's drained it, just that it's not the first time. Starting batteries are not made to *routinely* deep discharge, but IDK that just because you did it a few times, or even 10 times, means you should chuck the battery. If you're doing it frequently, it's the primary usage for the battery, etc, then it's a different story.

I get 6 years from batteries and alternator replacements are also unusual. I think I had one alternator go in 35 years. And that one was in a company car that was less than 3 years old, less than 60K miles.
bob haller wrote:

It's funny they have more battery problems in the South than up here in cold Canuck land, it seems. I just replace at first sign of battery trouble which is usually around 5 year mark. 3 year seems to be too freequent. Since coming into alternator age from generator, I don't recall having too many battery/charging problems in various cars, trucks I have driven.

idle" speed - unlike generators with about 5%. 20 minutes of idling will put enough charge into a battery to restart the engine, but a FULL charge takes over an hour of running.( in some cases, from dead, over 2 hours)
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 07:42:09 -0400, Stormin Mormon

the life of the battery. So do it twice, you are down to 1/4 life. This was particularly true of the Delco "freedom battery" which was, if I remember correctly, a high calcium battery. Today's batteries may be slightly better (or worse).
On 06/30/2014 10:40 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

<snip>

A "lead-calcium" battery has very poor "deep discharge" characteristics but it's not quite that bad.
Over-discharging it a few times won't take too much life out of it...but if it occurs frequently the life will be significantly shortened.

that will start most engines after only a minute or two.

that I buy 5 or 6 years old (sometimes more) and drive for another 6-12 years. I have only replaced the alternator on ONE vehicle (90 ford Aerostar) in the last 30 years (owning minimum of 2 vehicles at a time) and many of my vehicles have gone over 240,000km. Current pickup truck is 18 years old, 324,000km, still on original alternator.
Over the years I HAVE replaced the brushes on the odd alternator - but that wear occurs regardless of battery condition. You may note, only ONE of my vehicles was a GM and I only owned it for about 96000km. GM had a lot of temperature related failures with theire little SI alternators.
On 06/30/2014 10:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On my '59 Triumph, the generator brushes would only last about ten years.
Every ten years, yep I'd have to replace them again. After about the third time I just got tired of all that silliness and sold it to some sucker.

that's the problem with "general rules of thumb" - people start believing claptrap.
On 6/30/2014 2:06 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

If you get clap trap, do you need to go get the shot shot?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Just remember to turn the lights off - and don't leave the glove box door open, or anything else that leaves lights on.. Mild discharging of the battery is not detrimental - but deep discharge is. A good half hour highway drive every month never hurt ANY car though - gets all the fluids warmed up, cooks out condensation - lots of good effects. Including fully charging (and equalizing) the battery.

On 6/30/2014 2:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I was thinking of heating the condensate out of the motor oil.
I had a car one time, that the one side was about two inches lower. The mechanic wanted to replace a spring, but it turns out the battery wasn't equalized. (I'm having fun, and teasing.)
--
.
Christopher A. Young

years back, as well as in many battery service publications.
http://pvcdrom.pveducation.org/BATTERY/Images/image032.gif shows 10% depth of discharge giving 1400 recharge cycles, A 50% DOD giving about 450 cycles, and 100% DOD less than 200 for a normal (not deap discharge) lead acid battery. This is FACT.
Lots of good information in a DOE publication by John A. Yoder EH-31 GTN U.S. Department of Energy 19901 Germantown Road Germantown, MD 20874-1290 Phone (301) 903-5650 Facsimile (301) 903-6172
Available at energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/06/f2/hdbk1084.pdf

but that does not support your original statement by any stretch of the imagination.
On 06/30/2014 03:08 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Those numbers look realistic.
The original statement implied that the battery would only survive four such discharges...that's not at all true...
however "calcium" batteries are definitely not designed for deep discharge.

I don't think I ever had a car with a generator, all alternators. The only alternator I replaced was on an old Dodge Ram 50. I seldom drove it and about half the time I had to charge the battery up because it sat so long. Most batteries seem to last for 5 years or more in my cars.
The only battery I had problems with was a riding lawn mower. An 8 HP motor and I used it about an hour each time I mowed the grass. If I got 2 seasons out of it I was lucky.
This is in the middle of North Carolina.