REAL Name for a Come_Along

Is there another "REAL" name for a come-along? I called a hardware store and they did not know what that was? Either the guy is real dumb, or else there is a more "technical" name for them. That's what I have always called them.
Anyone know?
Thanks
It might be called a ratcheted puller or hoist.

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

A little googling brings the phrases "hand winch", "hoist pull", "chain puller", "power puller".
Did you talk to a guy in the store's automotive department? They should at least *know*. I do know our local ACE has a couple of different models.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

"Either the guy is real dumb" BINGO!
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Try Chain hoist or rope pulley hoist...block and tackle, maybe...

Harbor Freight calls them a 'cable winch puller'
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/Displayitem_retail.taf?itemnumber0329
<< Anyone know? >>
Farmers and truckers have called them "load binders" for years. HTH
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Lever chain hoist. Or a cable hoist. Or chain puller.
Best regards, Bob

This is Turtle.
Real Dumb !
TURTLE
On Sun, 16 May 2004 01:23:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Its either a Whatsit or a Thing-a-ma-jig.
BB
I've always used the term chain block .

Try "hoist" the only name I've ever used is Come along....chain block to me means slightly different device....I have a wire-rope come along that I used for pulling engines thing is so old...still works
Terry

"Come along" works well. http://www.arizonatools.com/catalog/browse/2638/detail/2157 /
mikey