REAL Name for a Come_Along

Is there another "REAL" name for a come-along? I called a hardware store and they did not know what that was? Either the guy is real dumb, or else there is a more "technical" name for them. That's what I have always called them.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Reply to
spamfree

It might be called a ratcheted puller or hoist.

Reply to
Wa6tkq

A little googling brings the phrases "hand winch", "hoist pull", "chain puller", "power puller".

Did you talk to a guy in the store's automotive department? They should at least *know*. I do know our local ACE has a couple of different models.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Try "block and tackle"

Reply to
Chuck B.

Farmers and truckers have called them "load binders" for years. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Lever chain hoist. Or a cable hoist. Or chain puller.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Try Chain hoist or rope pulley hoist...block and tackle, maybe...

Reply to
Marvin Moore - Association for

This is Turtle.

Real Dumb !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Harbor Freight calls them a 'cable winch puller'

frytech

Its either a Whatsit or a Thing-a-ma-jig.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I've always used the term chain block .

Reply to
Claude Charbonneau

Try "hoist" the only name I've ever used is Come along....chain block to me means slightly different device....I have a wire-rope come along that I used for pulling engines thing is so old...still works

Terry

Reply to
Terry Cano

"Come along" works well.

mikey

Terry Cano wrote:

Reply to
mikey

replying to Chuck B., Peter Pond wrote: Excellent: readers seem to fit in the same category as the clerk;)

Reply to
Peter Pond

Thanks for the reply. It is 13 years since the original post and we are having a memorial service for the OP. Since he did not know the name of the equipment, he just bought a pulley and clothes line to use to lift his mother's Grand piano up to the 14th floor of her apartment building.

He got the piano almost to the top when he wrapped the clothesline around his arm for security but the heavy piano came down and lifted the OP up and flung him to the street when he hit the 14th floor and the rope broke. The piano does not sound as good now either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Fri 07 Jul 2017 11:38:11a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

I suspect he doesn't play it very well either.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

What if he had had the gerbils helping? Maybe cushion the fall...

Reply to
Tekkie®

He was using the gerbils as a counterweight. One of the jumped off to go pee and caused the piano to fall.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The driver of this passing car wasn't very happy either.

DerbyDad03