Another cleaver router name

Infected Site may keep some of the riff raff away

Reply to
gfretwell

Can you cut meat with that cleaver?

. Christ> GetOffMyLan

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Properly setting up your wireless router using proper security level, a strong password, MAC filtering and turning off the display of the SID will keep just about everyone (other than your authorized users) off your connection. NSA, et al can probably still play with you but then you'd have bigger problems than somebody poaching on your connection.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Byte Me

Private not for hire

Try it nah nah nah

Go Away

Git Loahst

Your Mac Blocked

NO FISHING

TDD ^_^

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oh, I thought he meant the name of Beaver Cleaver's router.

Reply to
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein

Last year, when I was having weak signal problems with my WLAN, I bought a wireless LAN PC card from a Chinese Ebay vendor that was advertised as having a much greater than normal transmission power. It also came with a small coaxial connector to enable it to be connected to a high-efficiency antenna.

What I later learned is that it was really a WiFi "cracking" kit that came with all sorts of automatic software on the included CD meant to break into other people's connections. The card transmitted with a much higher power than is probably FCC approved according to the few tests I performed. It solved my weak signal problem easily, and some further tests confirmedg that it indeed was a "high powered" card. That higher power also enabled the card to overpower the signals coming from standard WiFi transmitters. This increased power enabled it to more easily record legit WiFi traffic and then to spoof it to allow it to perform a "man in the middle" attack.

The CD that came with the card was chock-full of all sorts of automated hacking tools that I didn't check out other than verifying that the programs could be found via Google and weren't just some spyware falsely labeled as hacking tools. It was a real eye-opener because as I looked up each program that came on the CD I realized that WiFi connections aren't as safe as they should be and were vulnerable to a wide variety of attack modes, many of which were exploitable via the included software.

That's when I decided I would stick with a wired LAN connection since I live within cantenna range of a very large university's computer science department.

Wireless users should read this and then examine their setups and equipment very carefully!

Cracking a wireless net

Reply to
Robert Green

NotSoAvailable?