ID: Monkey Vine, Real Name?

I grew up calling this Monkey Vine. Anyone know the real name of it? Was all over the woods in PA where I grew up, got some in my back yard in KY now.

Tempted to relocate it.

Scott Hildenbrand

not the only plant which goes by that name). There is an native American species (C. scandens), and an invasive (C. orbiculatus). The two can be hard to tell apart, but the position of the flowers/fruit seems to be the usual way:

Jim Kingdon

Actually it looks like a grape in both the leaf, and because of the stump the new growth is coming from.

If it is super aggressive then it may be Vitus riparia but there are also other native grapes.

Jim

Reply to
McGerm

I'll have to watch and see. Since I cut it back I'll leave it grow out some. See if it produces any kind of fruit.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Assuming the growth is coming from that stump, yes that would argue for grape.

There also could be grape-style tendrils at:

with something like:
think I'm going to disclaim having sufficient knowledge to help much on this one...

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Compare with something like:

After looking at it for a while it does seem to be a grape style vine of some kind.. I just don't ever recall seeing any fruit on them. Granted, any fruit would have been 20 to 30' up in the trees it was attaching itself to, but still don't remember any.

I'm going to let this one live for a while and see what it does... Maybe build a trellis for it and train it up that instead of letting it climb the tree.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand