Reading glasses

One thing I discovered is old guys can also use a pair of 350s for that really tiny stuff you have to work on. The focal length is far shorter than comfortable reading distance but it really helps if you are doing work on tiny stuff.
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 20:31:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What are 350s?

I did notice, before I was 50 or maybe also afterwards a little bit, that there was no point in using a magnifying glass, because everything I could see with it I could see without it. That doesn't seem right, so maybe I mean at least in terms of repairing things.
That isn't true anymore, and a magnifying glass doesn't always help.
So what are 350s? :-)
I did buy, at a hamfest (though I have rarely seen them there). a lens that clips on the temple? arm of one's glasses and stands in front of the glasses to make a compound lens. Then it will flip up (sideways) when you don't need it. It was 2 or 3 dollars at the hamfest, not sure how much it would be retail, but it works well for me.
I bought a cheap jeweler's loupe too, plastic case with plastic lens, but the plastic is not the problem. I haven['t gotten used to holding it in with my cheek and my forehead. It's hard and even then it falls out.

The highest diopter reading glasses you usually see at the dollar/drug store
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 23:25:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Oh, I call them 3.50. I'll try again. Maybe I only used 2 or 2.5 the last time. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I am a model maker so I have one of those hoods with multiple stacking lenses. 3 different diopters. I wear it with my reading glasses on. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/540695
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 15:31:38 -0500, willshak wrote:

The bad thing about dollar store glasses is that you want poly carb lenses for safety and dollar store glasses fail that safety test.
I like Zenni Optical. Great quality and dirt cheap.
You should be getting an eye exam every couple of years anyway, so why not get prescription poly carb safety lenses?
--
Tony Sivori

What do they have?

Grainger.com has a full line of safty glasses. They also have bifocals. Check it out.
On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 16:35:21 -0500, micky wrote:

Plain glass.
--
Tony Sivori

Well, if they weren't reading glasses, if I played ball with them, I guess I'd want plastic, but almost all my reading is done when I'm alone, and done very quietly.
Plus I need several pairs, one for each floor, one or two for the car, 2 for the suitcase. My mother only had one pair and I was always going upstairs or downstairs for her to get her glasses. That's not for me.
Thanks, however.