Noisy water valve

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house. Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise (whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
VidBex

If it's a globe valve, I would say that the problem is that the screw holding the disk in place is loose and the disk is moving back and forth on the screw.

Reply to
nestork

On 07 Nov 2013, you wrote in alt.home.repair:

It is a WATTS Regulator/A.S.S.E. 1003/ N35B/Size 3/4/ Model DV/ Set: STD. ??/ Range 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F. The regulator is situatated about 8" above the water intake valve for the house.

Reply to
VidBex

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is a WATTS Regular. Specs. are A.S.S.E 1003/N35B/ SIZE: 3/4 /MODEL: DV/SET: STD. ??/ RANGE 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F.

Reply to
VidBex

Sometimes the interior washer gets worn and can make loud sounds like that. Can't say for sure not knowing if it is a globe valve ball valve or gate valve.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So it's the pressure regulator that making the noise? Not a open/close valve?

I'd guess it's cycling to adjust the pressure. If it's a new noise then maybe you should look for a rebuild kit for it.

Reply to
jamesgang

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is a WATTS Regular. Specs. are A.S.S.E 1003/N35B/ SIZE: 3/4 /MODEL: DV/SET: STD. ??/ RANGE 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F.

Reply to
VidBex

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:xIudndZrD8DJQObPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Here is a webpage for the regulator:

VidBex

The Watts website says that the N35B is a discontinued model.

Seems like just switching out the existing valve with a new one would be the easiest option.

Reply to
TomR

The valve has a removable stainless steel screen internally. I suspect that either sediment has blocked part of the screen, or it has grown some scale from hard water. With the supply turned off, remove the screen (from the bottom of the valve), clean it and replace it. Carefully. The scale can be removed by soaking in vinegar.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

*Here's a link to the customer service page with email and phone number. This unit has replaceable parts without removing the regulator. They probably have a repair kit available.

John Grabowski

OK, this is easy then. If you don't know the difference between a valve and regulator, it is best to call a plumber. They are fairly cheap and esily replaced.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:Jo2dne9qy59aZubPnZ2dnUVZ_t- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks to all for your many recommendations.

Reply to
VidBex

Oh, man. Riots.

Careful, might try and burn your house down.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think you hae a doo-wop band rehearsing in your garage.

Reply to
micky

In my limited experience, it was easier to just replace my PRV with a new one than rebuild the old one. The price difference was something like $40 vs. $60, kit vs. new valve. No warranty on the rebuild, no guarantee that the rebuild would even work.

Hardest part was adding the access panel to the basement ceiling after cutting the drywall out to get to the old valve. I made a sliding access panel since there is no room to lift it up. Came out pretty nice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Most likely.

Reply to
VidBex

It is not a water valve. It is a pressure regulator. Evidently your water supply has high pressure that can cause extreme wear on valves, faucets, etc. The Watts regulator controls the supply pressure. YOu might try changing the pressure setting to see if it helps on the noise problem. I would not run the supply pressure over 50-55 lbs, 30 would probably be a minimum.

Reply to
DanG

No one has mentioned what I think is obvious. Contact your municipal water supply source!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Why? What am I missing here? Why should he contact his municipal water supply source?

(Also, it helps if you quote at least some of the original post to give your post some context. I did that for you in my reply here.)

Reply to
TomR