Range hood vent options/ self venting or vent through roof ?

I am ready to remodel my kitchen. It involves relocating a stove, (which is next to an outside wall and vents outside) to another location that cannot vent to the outside, other than the roof. In my previous house I had a self venting hood, which I was not crazy about since it really could not get rid of the smell and heat as well as an outdoor vented hood. But if I have no choice, I will probably go that route. But I was wondering if a stove can be vented through the roof ? And if so, are there any special considerations I must know about.
Mikepier wrote:

Sure. Another pretty extensive thread on the subject here fairly recently, actually. A google on groups will probably find it.
Only real concerns have to do w/ how far it is, ensuring have sufficient fan capacity for the length, how to route it avoiding existing other stuff like HVAC, stack vents, etc., for the physical problems.
Other things to consider are the visual impact of the new vent (not real good idea to have it come out on the street side right in the middle of an entrance way roof or somesuch), will it exhaust where an open window will pick it up, etc., etc., ...

If you cook, vent it outside. No reason not to go straight up through the roof, just make sure to use the proper size duct and through the roof fittings

Self venting is a misnomer, it blows the heat, fumes and grease right back into the kitchen. Go with a real vent, that is, thru the roof. Roger