Rain coming through Clopay garage door

I bought a top-of-the-line Clopay steel garage door (model 4310,

16x7') in the spring. When the rains came, I observed water dripping from the hinges, and also out the corner styles from each panel, and accumulating in the bottom tubular weatherstrip and on the floor. The dealer said Clopay acknowledged the problem, and four new panels were shipped and installed in September.

Well guess what? With the first weather that blew in the right direction, there's more leakage. I'd say that a good cup of water runs out of the door when you lift it after a rain, again from the corner styles. Dealer thinks it's just one panel, and wants to replace just one. I say they need to get a factory rep out here with a hose to determine just how it's leaking in. It does not appear to be going under the side weatherstrip, as there's no water visible from the inside with the door closed. There are no windows. Perhaps it's getting into the joints between the panels, but I don't see how it can get around the tongue-and-groove baffles.

Does anyone know what's normal for a door like this? What happens to water that seeps into the joints, then migrates to either end of the door? It's very disturbing to think that there's moisture and eventual rust through inside these panels.

Reply to
rufo

Never did care for Clopas doors much. These doors are "thermally broken" That is to say that the outside skin and the inside skin do not touch they are separated by a silicone filled seal, which is supposed to "improve energy efficiency and comfort". Well, these seals have a nasty habit of leaking. If you have wind driven rain blowing into the gap between the sections it may leak through the thermal break , the gap can also act as a channel for the water to run to the end of the door and accumulate. After freezing and thawing a few times the insulation will undo itself from the skin. Those end caps aren't going to help much. So in a nut shell, little by little the door section that is leaking, is going to end up falling apart.

Rich

Reply to
Rich