Radios: here is the pix...

Page 1 of 3
of the radios I got free from a guy on the radio group
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1496322_746198695407502_474381396_o.jpg
Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter
Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each

Very nice radios.
On 12/26/2013 01:26 PM, micky wrote:

A few will need repair...so that should give me something to do this winter. I am going to test one now.
The case on the little fairlane is a bit tough, but the Knight makes up for it!!!!

On 12/26/2013 01:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hey, considering I only paid freight...no complaints here. The Knight R-100 powers up and works on the AM band, will need to recap it of course.
The little one has the oscillator coil removed...but was included...I assume its defective.
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 14:43:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If it looks too new, it looks like a reproduction.
As with other antiques, check with antique dealers before doing restoration. Restoration can lower the value of an antique severely.
I don't think that includes making it receive and detect radio.

On 12/26/2013 02:14 PM, micky wrote:

I guarantee you these are not repros. I've been working on tube radios for 50 years and I know how to properly restore them.
Biggest mistake is to sand them down and totally refinish. There are a /few/ folks who know how to do a perfect job but most people do not have the skills to do so and if they have been obviously refinished...will indeed lower the value.
Since my ability is with the electronics...I leave the cases alone and do nothing more than touch up scratches with an "Almond Stick".
In my house, I do not want pristine radios, I prefer them mostly as found.

No, i meant that if you make it look too new, it will look like a repro. Not that it was one.

On 12/26/2013 02:43 PM, micky wrote:

Ok . Nothing in my house looks new. My house is 115 years old and anything new would look out of place.

Did you build your home?
On 12/26/2013 09:44 PM, Jaj wrote:

Yes, I built the very house I was born it.
On 12/26/2013 3:06 PM, philo wrote:

TDD

No, I bought the house because it was the only thing I could find that was older than me.
On 12/27/2013 7:01 AM, philo wrote:

I understand, my Dodge van is older than the girls I chase,....err limp after. ^_^
TDD

That's one of the good things about them. No acid rock, no rap, just Glenn Miller and Guy Lombardo playing music and Edward R. Murrow giving news about the war. And maybe the chance to hear War of the Worlds live, if you listen at the right time.
On 12/26/2013 11:24 AM, philo wrote:

I see dial cords..... ^_^
TDD
On 12/26/2013 12:24 PM, philo wrote:

You are a very fortunate man. Nice score.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/27/2013 08:02 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The guy ended up giving the rest of them away on Craig's List.
Anyway now I have winter projects in the event I run out of computers.
"philo " wrote in message
of the radios I got free from a guy on the radio group
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1496322_746198695407502_474381396_o.jpg
Some will need repair...so I will have something to do this winter
Shipping by Greyhound averaged $20 each
That used to be my hobby also. Started doing radio repair in 1943. Worked in several repair shops before joining the U.S. Navy. Serviced electronic gear then. I like the tube type stuff. Still have tubes, parts , knobs , and some radios. Now more interested in woodworking and photography. Did TV repair when they were tube type. Contact me and if I have any thing you can use only pay postage. WW
On 12/27/2013 03:43 PM, WW wrote:

I was about 13 years old when I did my first radio repair...that was around 1962...I've liked vacuum tube radios ever since. I got into Ham radio but never in TV repair.
Though I started college in the late 60's and did programming in FORTRAN-IV I really hated punch cards and got out of the field entirely by 1982. (Yes that was the year when things really started.)
Never thought I'd get into computer repair but in 1999 my (now) wife gave me her old P-1 and I got hooked.
I don't have the skills be to a woodworker but I have been doing photography seriously since 1970. Since my wife runs an art gallery, she even lets me curate a photo show about every 18 months.
Right now I am looking for a few parts actually.
I need an oscillator coil for a BCB superhet. , an audio transformer for an Atwater Kent and some filter capacitors. The parts do not have to be original but if you might have any such things please email me. my gmail addy is philo565 and I will give you more details thanks!