Rabbit Rifle Info needed

Page 3 of 4

Steve B wrote:

Good point. The authorities knock on your door and say "We've triangulated gunshots coming from your property."
You say: "And..."
They say: "Have you been firing a weapon?"
And you say (pick one): * "You'll never take me alive, John Law!" * "No" * "I'm glad you're here. I've been pulling on my penis for several hours now and I think I've broken it. Could you take a look and see if it's all right?" * "Do you think the U.S. will ever go metric? LOOK! A SQUIRREL!" * "You mean you're not here about the kids on my lawn?!"

In Florida the safe answer is "I threw a firecracker at a bird or whatever, that was damaging my garden" That is one of the few legal ways to shoot firecrackers in this state but you can also shoot 2" mortars as long as you are just scaring animals. Last night about midnight they must have had an infestation to rival the biblical plague of locusts because all manner of pyrotechnics were being fired.
This does bring up an interesting point. When they institute the gunshot locator in Ft Myers, as they have planned, will we be rolling cops every time some kid is "scaring birds"? We do have about a dozen permanent fireworks stores and tents on every corner in December and June/July. Fireworks are a constant thing.

Heard today that a 4 year old child was killed at church New Year's Eve by a falling bullet in Decatur, Ga. I have seen this discussion before with people wailing that it is impossible. This impossible bullet penetrated both the roof and the boy's skull.
Las Vegas is notorious for New Year's Eve gunfire.
Steve

Chicago,too.
Had one a few years ago in Orlando,guy fired an AK-47 into the air,nailed a man couple of miles away,a chest hit.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

-snip-
I've searched today and in the past. I haven't seen any credible evidence that a *falling* bullet is likely to kill anyone.
Mythbusters has visited the falling bullet theory a couple times. Both times they determined that there is very little umph left in a falling bullet.
I did find this interesting page- In 1920 the Army determined that a 150 gr. bullet shot straight up came down blunt end first and only had 30 foot-pounds of energy. It made a 1/16" dent in softwood. "They fired .30 caliber, 150 gr., Spitzer point bullets, at a velocity of 2,700 f.p.s. Using the bullet ballistic coefficient and elapsed time from firing until the bullet struck the water, they calculated that the bullet traveled 9,000 feet in 18 seconds and fell to earth in 31 seconds for a total time of 49 seconds." http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/March01.htm
It would take *some* falling bullet to penetrate a roof- then kill even a child.
I don't doubt that people die every day from *stray* bullets-- but there is a world of difference between stray and falling.
Jim
[snip]

You left out the other part. While the vertical velocity (falling) is too small, it's nearly impossible to fire a gun straight up (0 horizontal velocity). People can still be shot be those bullets.
[snip]
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Here's the Mythbuster's take on the subject:
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_50_bullets_fired_up_vo.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDB838Vi6hw

TDD

Perhaps you should have just googled "falling bullet kills". Where did you look? In your garage?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1199/can-a-bullet-fired-into-the-air-kill-someone-when-it-comes-down
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22105604/detail.html
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic ;f4;t0739;p=1
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/4084756/detail.html

Ahhhh. True scientists and forensic experts. Not to mention both are on medical marijuana.

Ninety year old science?

Small children have very very very very very soft bones in their heads. Did I say they have soft bones in their heads, particularly on top where it takes decades to completely grow thicker and toughen?

Not if you're the dead person. They don't wonder a lot at all.
Well, then, I guess that ends the matter. You have spoken. We can throw out all the facts, anecdotal evidence, and files on people killed from falling bullets.
But, I would say that several stories where the bullet came through the roof, then entered the person establishes a trajectory. But then, I am nowhere as smart as you, as you can examine evidence thousands of miles away, and determine forensics without ever being at the site.
You may and will continue to believe whatever you want. As for me, I shall read the reports from time to time on deaths caused from falling bullets.
And as for Mythbusters ................... They should get hold of the police agencies and point out the errors of their investigations and get the REAL perpetrators. We all know that if it is on TV or on the radio or in the papers, it HAS to be true.
Have you heard the latest rumor? The earth is round!
Steve

the discrepancy here is that this guy is talking about bullets falling straight down,no horizontal velocity. NOT a real-life situation.
NONE of the people killed by "falling" bullets were from bullets falling straight down,but down in ballistic arcs,where the bullet still had horizontal velocity adding to it's kinetic energy.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You got me there. If it was falling straight down, it would go back into the gun's barrel.
Steve

minor wind drift would preclude that from happening.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Then wouldn't that make the trajectory parabolic, and thus meet the parameters you set to make it fatal?
Steve

No,wind drift could move it in several directions,depending on prevalent winds at different altitudes,even move it one way then back like a "s",and possibly at different rates of drift,too. And a parabolic trajectory would mean the pointy end is coming down.
what I'm trying to say is that no one has been killed by a bullet dropping back on them or even right next to the shooter;the kills have all been large distances away,meaning a parabolic trajectory. (IOW,they were not shooting "straight up",probably not even nearly straight up.)
Now,a bullet travelling long distances will still lose a lot of energy,but keep enough to harm someone.(muzzle velocity vs terminal velocity)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Many cases have been unproven. I am not omnipotent and all knowing, so I don't make statements like "no one has been killed by a bullet dropping

I've lived long enough to think that just about anything can happen. Unless, of course experts, the Mythbusters, or omnipotents say otherwise.
Steve
Angels can fly, and thus dodge the bullets.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ive gotten away with using .22 CB & BB caps
Jimmie

Andy comments;
I use a Crossman with a 4X scope on it. It shoots at 1200 feet per second and I use it with good effect on both squirrels (tree rats) and rabbits (ground rats).
You can get a look at air rifles of this type by googling "high power air rifles"
Gamo currently has one for around $130 including the scopy, and you DO want the scope, since you only have one shot at a time and need to make it count.
Good luck, I have felt your pain and my situation has been dealt with successfully....
Also, you can google "rabbit recipes" and "squirrel recipes" and there are hundreds, tho I would recommend stewing the victim until the meat falls off (about 1 hour at just boiling) and throwing in some potatoes and carrots, then garlic/salt/black pepper... or whatever.....
Be careful when cleaning the rabbit. You need to be on the lookout for tuleremia (rabbit fever) and that is done by checking the liver. It can all be googled. Lots of stuff....
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Eureka, site of the best Korean Barbeque Restaurant in Texas, located on the main highway beside the animal shelter......

I am making a 55 gallon trap. It is a plastic barrel with a trap door on top that they activate by pushing a release. They then drown in the barrel, and a small spring returns the door to ready position. I have used the soda can on a string over a barrel of water, and it works quite well. With this, they won't be able to see the dead ones, and may be less cautious. Our rock squirrels in Utah are very wary.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

-- aem sends...