Quiet low profile ceiling fan?

I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only eight feet high so I need one that does not protrude very far down into the room. Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
On 9/28/2012 10:21 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:

that is probably the source of noise. Get a fan with and odd number of blades and follow their balancing instructions. You should never be able to hear the fan at low speed.
Paul
On 9/28/12 1:29 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

Why is that?
--
You can observe a lot just by watching.
---Yogi Berra

I bought a Harbor Breeze fan recently. It is silent. Takes 5 minutes to spin down to a stop from lowest speed. But the light cover is a pain. It fell off and broke into thousands of pieces when I pulled the light switch chain. Took months to get a free replacement, and I am afraid to put it on, because of the cheezy way it is attached.
--
Best regards
Han

I installed 5 5-blade fans a few years ago. 2 of them don't have the light kits installed. They're not in the same place as the ceiling light.
BTW, $30 each (in about 2000) at K-Mart. They've been good fans.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I think mine is a Hampton Bay that I got from HD over 10 years ago. It only cost me about $60. It can be mounted low profile and I have it in the bedroom. It's almost totally silent, as quiet as any fan I've ever heard.

That makes the $105 Harbor Breeze fan I bought this summer at Lowes pretty cheap.
--
Best regards
Han
On 09/28/2012 12:29 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

I know my 5-blade fan (over the bed) is quiet. I didn't know it was because it's odd.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I used a dropped/suspended style fan, but directly mounted it to the ceiling to get the clearance I wanted. Took a little figuring out how to do it, but if you're at all mechanically inclined it should not be a big deal. The only negative is that now any fan noise is directly connected to the ceiling.

I used a dropped/suspended style fan, but directly mounted it to the ceiling to get the clearance I wanted. Took a little figuring out how to do it, but if you're at all mechanically inclined it should not be a big deal. The only negative is that now any fan noise is directly connected to the ceiling. ================================================== It's amazing how motor noise -- even in quiet stuff like ceiling fans -- can reverberate thru a house structure. Never mind something like a hood-exhaust fan. The "tighter" the attachment to any structural part of the house, the worse the problem becomes, and it can become pretty bad. Vibrational isolation + mechanical integrity are not easily combined, it seems.
--
EA

I should have mentioned that I cannot install a fan. I will have to have it installed. I do not have a ceiling light in my bedroom. I do have an attic above the room.
I think that Home Depot installs fans. Does Lowes also install fans? I very much want a remote controlled fan.
I notice that Lowes does not list the fan height of their Harbor Breeze fans.
So far, I have only found one Home Depot Hampton Bay ceiling fan that is low profile. Their Hampton Bay Hugger 52 in. White Ceiling Fan Model # AL383-WH is listed as Distance from Ceiling to Bottom of Fan (In.) 12.99. It is $34.97 Each and does not include a remote control.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her

My cat sits on me so that I don't go anywhere until I feed him.
--
EA

Expand your search. Lowes and HD are not the only places to buy ceiling fans and, from my experience, their staff people are not particularly well trained on such products. Check out a couple of local lighting showrooms instead. The staff is typically better trained and they understand how the whole package goes together -- fan, control and installation. Showrooms often mount fans on a wall or low ceiling so that you can listen to them in a quiet area and check out the construction quality.
Tomsic
In article

Well, that isn't quite the *only* negative. The other negative is that it greatly chokes off air flow.
On 9/28/2012 1:21 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:

After you buy a $50 fan from the McBigBox store and you find it makes too much noise, buy a truly quiet fan!
http://www.casablancafanco.com

Or if you want to move some air:
http://www.bigassfans.com/residential/index.html
;-)

I have a bedroom that is about 12 feet by 12 feet with an eight foot ceiling. I do not think that any of the fans at that url would be suitable for me.