Questions on installing interior door with 2X3 framing.

In my basement I am renovating one of my rooms that has a 30" door. There is no jamb, the hinges are screwed directly into the 2X3 framing, and the walls were 70's style wood paneling that were nailed up to the edge of the door frame. The door worked well with no problems, but now I am replacing the walls in this room with sheetrock. My options are:

1) remove old door, and put in new 28" door with jambs ( since framing is already there), but I'm concerned with making the opening 2 inches smaller, poses a problem when trying to get furniture in this room. Also because of space limitations, I cannot extend opening frame to 32" to accomodate a 30" prehung door.

Leave door as is , and sheetrock up to edge of the door using a J-bead or corner bead to finish off, paint inside frame, and put molding on afterwords.

Reply to
Mikepier

Sorry, there should be a 2) next to the second option

2) Leave door as is , and sheetrock up to edge of the door using a J- bead or corner bead to finish off, paint inside frame, and put molding on afterwords.
Reply to
Mike rock

If you can finish it in a way that makes momma happy I would go with #2

Reply to
gfretwell

This sounds like a text book example of why building permits should be obtained.

Go to your building and zoning office and get a permit for the work you are planning, or may have already started. They will be able to answer all of your questions and probably give you many options for your situation. The cost of the permit is a lot less than having to remove and re-build something that went wrong.

Gordon Shumway

One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway