Question about cordless phone battery

Page 1 of 2

I have a Northwestern Bell 36007 cordless phone. The battery conks out much sooner than it used to, so I assume it's time to purchase a replacement battery. The problem is the three stores I have been to so far apparently don't recognize this model (at least in the compatibility directories)!
For what it's worth, it uses an NICD 3.6 V rechargeable battery, 450 mAh. As far as type/size/plug, I have found similar batteries in these stores, but none with the same milliAmperehour value (450).
Does this matter? Isn't this value merely how long the battery will keep a charge? Is it safe to go with a 3.6 NICD battery that is 1,000 mAh?
TIA.
Daave wrote:

Sure, it may take a bit longer to reach a full charge, but you'll get better life than you ever got when the phone was new. The slower charge will be easier on the battery as well. You can splice on the old plug if you can't find one that matches too.
Daave wrote:

Your battery is available directly through Northwestern Bell. Go to:
http://store.unical-estore.com/battery.html Just $5!
[And no, using a slightly higher mAh NiCD shouldn't cause problems as long as the voltage is the same, unless the internal charger objects for some reason.]

On most cordless phones, the internal 'charger' on NiCd powered handsets, only comprises a series resistor that limits the charge current to a trickle anyway, and when I used to repair a lot of them before they became full of uP's all whispering to one another, I regularly used to 'upgrade' the battery capacity for customers, so I agree with the rest - just go for it.
Arfa

Also, clean the contacts on base and handset (contact cleaner of course!)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Nah, a #2 type pencil eraser does the job, fine.

Yah,an eraser will also remove plating (used on many) and won't afford any corrosion protection.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Plating? On the charging contacts? Never had that problem on any of the phones I have had. *What* plated over *what* ??

Chrome over brass or steel. I am putting this out-there...it's not for your benefit...but maybe others.

I don't know the details here, but there is lots of plating out there, even on very cheap stuff. I noticed when some batteries leaked.
mm wrote:

We're talking about the contacts on the *outside* of the phone and on the charging base, not the internal battery contacts. And don't most cordless phones use plugs and pins instead of the ordinary battery contacts?

I wasn't talking about the battery contacts either, but what the leaking battery leaked on. And I'm saying there is lots of plated things. I'm sure it's not limited to in the phone or out of the phone.

I only addressed the topic of plating. But there defintiely are cordless phones batteries that use contacts and not plugs or pins.
What is the point of quibbling about "most" or not when the OP only has one phone and we don't know what kind he has.
mm wrote:

Sure we do. It's a Northwestern Bell 36007. He stated so in his original post. It uses a 3.6 volt NiCD cell and a plug/pin connection.

Oh. I forgot about that because I don't keep track of such phones, or look them up.

Plus $6.85 shipping!! I can buy this same battery at Walgreen's Drug Store for $9.99. Although, I can buy a brand new phone WITH a battery for $15!! B
Brian O wrote:

Plus tax, plus wear-and-tear on your car, plus your time, plus the cost to repair the parking lot incurred door-ding caused by little Jimmy getting out of his parent's Lexus.
$11.85 delivered to your door seems like a bargain in comparison.
UCLAN wrote:

Not if you're already going to the store or need other items from the same place, which most people do on a regular basis.
Personally I'd rather get off my ass, get out and have a little human interaction once in a while than pay more for postage than the item costs. If a substantial savings of time or money can be realized by ordering online I will and often do, but for something like a battery it's easier to just go to the store.
James Sweet wrote:

You somewhat contradict yourself here. At first you state that you'd go to the store when you need other items, too. But you end by saying that just for a battery, it's easier to go to the store. That makes it sound as if you decided you needed the battery, and jumped in the car to go get it.
If it's something I need *now*, I'll pay for the gas, pay for the car wear, pay the 8% sales tax, and get the item *now*. If it's something I don't need immediately, I'll let UPS deal with the traffic (I live in Southern California.) My time is more important to me.
As for "human interaction", I can think of countless better ways than grabbing a battery at Walgreens.
UCLAN wrote:

Ah, a pessimist. :|
NRen2k5 wrote:

No, a realist. All except the door-ding is certain. And even the door-ding has a high probability of occurrence.