Q: How do you remove old field tile ?

This sounds like an odd question, but how do you plug up a field tile? The reason is that my house sits on a property that was once a tiled field. The tile was broken at the point where my basement now is. (It originates at a point higher up a hill). All of the water from the area is trying to drain into my yard, or more or less into my basement. I found the tile by accident when I had a contractor dig up around my basement to reseal the cement brick -ie the basement was getting wet. For the most part the old brick isn't leaking, but some of the cement block that I had the contractor install last year had so much water presure that it pushed the water sealer through the brick, to the inside of the basement.
I'm going to add my own tile around the house, but I'd like to seal or dig up the old field tile. I tried plugging the field tile with hydrolic cement, but water presure blew out the section of plugged clay tile. If I was to dig it out, how far back should I go to keep the water away from my basement? The dirt around the basement is almost pure clay. I'm back filling with sand, after I have the proper tile installed. I'm using 4" tile with a "sock" around it.
Thanks,
Steve
<< I'd like to seal or dig up the old field tile. >>
From my experience with old tile on an acreage I own, (Illinois clay) I'd vote for getting rid of every bit of it on the whole property. Old sections left in can come back to haunt you. Keep in mind that shards of old clay tile will work their way down into new plastic and slice it where you don't want openings, so get the pieces off to the landfill pronto. When you get your new drainage installed make a map of it on the finest paper you can find and put it in your safe deposit box.
<< I'm back filling with sand, >>
Curious about this, won't that encourage water flow where you don't want it? HTH
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote in message

Well, you do have a point there. I was told by the contracter that he had to back fill with sand -some type of ordinance about not being able to back fill with clay. He was going to cap the trench with clay then cover that over with about 30 yards of good black dirt. The local drain commisioner wants a hundred dollars for a permit to tap into a storm basin that sits on the corner of my property. I'm going to run my tile and gutters to the storm drain. Hopefully that will solve some of the water problems.
It's rained here in Michigan (USA) for over 30 days now, or so it seems. I'm going to have the drain tile trench redug. It filled up with water and caved in from all the rain we've had lately.
Steve