How do I remove old floor tile?

I am currently renovating a bathroom that has old floor tiles. What is the easiest way to remove them? Can I just rough them up with carbide sand paper on a belt sander and tile over them?

Thanks

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

sparkz

Easiest way but perhaps not the cheapest. I hired a floor man to come in. He removed the tiles and then sanded off the remaining adhesive with pro equipment that caught all the dust. Left me with a neat clean floor.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

You don't say what the underlayment is. If it's concrete, brute mechanical scraping can be used. There are manual tools for this, some of which can be bought at Home Depot and similar stores. There are powered scrapers as well. Check local rental stores. If you have an air compressor, air-driven gasket scrapers can be bought for as low as $50 or so. A wood-product underlayment requires more finesse. More delicate scraping and prying along with application of heat (not too much) can be used. Of course, if you are going to replace the underlayment, then a cruder approach can be used. Under no circumstances should grinding or sanding be done unless you are absolutely certain the tiles don't contain asbestos, which many old tiles do.

sparkz wrote:

Reply to
newsman