PVC pipe buried directly in concrete?

I have a contractor who insists he wants to bury PVC directly in a slab. I know this is wrong... the concrete makes both PVC pipe and cement at fittings brittle, and they fail with the slightest expansion or contraction. I have looked everywhere on the web for a reference to substantiate this, but I can find nothing. Can someone please refer me to such a reference? This is a HUGE issue on this project. Thanks!

Reply to
billder99

Why won't he just go under the slab like everyone else?

Reply to
gfretwell

First time I am hearing about this regarding PVC. There are expansion couplings available for movement. What kind of conduit do you prefer to use in the slab? I hope it's not aluminum.

You could install the conduit below the slab.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Reply to
Dave + Gloria

Never had any problems with non metallic conducts encased in concrete duct banks, even a few hundred feet between manholes. Common and done every day.

<Frank>

yeah and it&#39;s also against the code for the slab itself i believe.

Steve Barker DLT

What is the PCV going to be used for?

I have service feeds and first floor water pipes (copper) feeding through PCV in (or through) my concrete slab (my house is 22+ years old).

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf

He didn&#39;t really say "conduit". If a conduit cracked, no real harm. If it is a water pipe, big problem. In a slab the biggest concern might be structural. You will probably end up with a crack that telegraphs the pipe&#39;s path

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments, and yes, I should have been more specific. The contractor wants to put a 1" water line, regular white PVC for irrigation, buried directly into the slab... there is a LOT of pipe. I told him he needs to sleeve it or wrap it, but that it can&#39;t be in direct contact with concrete. He says I am crazy. Do any of you have a code reference, or manufacturers reference, or something I can show this guy?

Bill

Reply to
billder99

The answer is quite simple. You are the guy paying the bill and you don&#39;t want the pipe in the concrete. The golden rule, the guy with the gold makes the rules.

Reply to
gfretwell

Fretwell&#39;s right; YOU are the one paying for the job and it&#39;s to meet your requirements as long as it doesn&#39;t violate code.

Now: Have you contacted your own local zoning and code enforcement offices? If not, why not? Thát is always the logical places to start with; they may have local rules for that exact thing or at least be able to give you info about it.

Reply to
TWayne